Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning

(14 Posts)
Poppyflo29 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:52:40

To carry on my breastfeeding journey I need to night wean as it's affecting most aspects of my life through lack of sleep. He wakes every 45-1hour most nights. Most he's ever slept is 3 hours and that's been about twice!

We've tried the gentle approach and his having none of it with me being there.

So we are going cold turkey and I'm going to sleep downstairs for abit.
Anyone have any advice or success stories?

Hoping to still feed in the morning and evening.

BendingSpoons Sat 14-Jan-17 14:19:08

How old is he? Did you try last night? Good luck! My DD is 10 months and I'm thinking about night weaning her very soon so following with interest.

Poppyflo29 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:47:40

He's 19 months. We are starting tonight. Will let you know how it goes x

ShizerMinelli Sat 14-Jan-17 18:04:17

Following as am in the same boat!

Since having a spate of illnesses my DS (18months) has been off food for months. Only having milk, so is naturally hungry through the night.

We've tried it all. He will eat the odd bit, and is healthy and gaining weight, but only wants milk. So nighttimes are very similar to yours!

He's my 3rd so would like to think I'd have the answer - instead am going to wait patiently with you for some MN Super Mums to offer some advice!

BendingSpoons Sun 15-Jan-17 11:42:27

How did your night go?

Poppyflo29 Sun 15-Jan-17 12:19:45

Ok for me 😊 I slept a whole 7 hours.

My lb settled well for my husband and woke every 2 hours, but was comforted well. However he did sleep in our bed for the whole night so we need to make sure that doesn't become a thing. Fingers crossed his sleep improves over the next few days x

BendingSpoons Sun 15-Jan-17 12:52:07

Sounds like bliss for you! That's good he was able to be comforted without milk. Hopefully he will stop waking as he realises there is no milk.

Poppyflo29 Sun 15-Jan-17 13:15:05

Yes fingers crossed. He has woken with a bad cold though 😕
So hoping he's not too miserable tonight.

BendingSpoons Sat 04-Feb-17 18:10:36

How are you going with this? We did night 1 of no feeds last night. I felt so guilty! She was awake for 2 hours at first wake up then really restless all night (in our bed). This morning she woke up with a cold so now I feel even more guilty, but don't want to stop now I've started. She was more comforted by me than DH so I didn't get much sleep. Hope it's worth it!

Poppyflo29 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:46:15

It's going really well, he's gone from waking every 45/1hr to waking once or twice in the night. It's been amazing x

BendingSpoons Sat 04-Feb-17 21:03:30

That's great. Well done!

Poppyflo29 Sun 05-Feb-17 07:18:08

Thank you. Good luck with your weaning, let me know how you get on.

BendingSpoons Wed 08-Feb-17 07:43:54

It is going well for us too. One night of cuddling her whilst upset on and off for 2 hours. 2 nights of cuddling/lying beside her for 90mins but she was happy (and had a cold which probably made it worse), then the last 2 nights have been great. Fingers crossed it lasts! Means I can now carry on breastfeeding but get some more sleep.

Poppyflo29 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:24:14

That's great news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now