Talk

Advanced search

Hungry baby - hungry baby milk?

(12 Posts)
AshThom Thu 12-Jan-17 13:29:23

Is there anyone with experiences of hungry babies and hungry baby milk? I've heard and read very mixed reviews.

Baby is 4 weeks old and feeding every 3 hours. He's taking 5-6oz and then an hour later will want a 1-2oz top up. Pretty sure he forgets he's had the top up and his feeds are 3 hourly from the 5-6oz feed.

Any help/experiences?

Orangebird69 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:31:28

Tbh I'd just feed him when he wants whilst he's so tiny. Hungry baby milk IME tends to constipate little tummies....

reallyanotherone Thu 12-Jan-17 13:37:49

I wouldn't describe a 4 week baby feeding 3 hourly as particularly hungry? Sounds like a normal intake to me. Mine were feeding 2 hourly at that age.

His tummy is still tiny. Just feed him when he wants it. Don't focus on timing or even amount so much- look at how much he has per 24 hours.

SortAllTheThings Thu 12-Jan-17 13:40:18

I'd just feed more often tbh. At this age DS wanted a 4oz bottle every 2 hours at least.

melonribena Thu 12-Jan-17 13:40:31

Just feed him when he's hungry. Don't worry about the clock

dementedpixie Thu 12-Jan-17 13:42:49

Hungry milk isn't really for that age group so I'd just give first milk as and when they want it. It is harder to digest so it may cause constipation too.

BertieBotts Thu 12-Jan-17 13:45:18

Sounds like a normal amount for him to be drinking to me. Don't worry about it smile

Hungry baby milk is quite useful when you're trying to hold off weaning too early. Before then I would avoid. Just give more milk or more often.

ElspethFlashman Thu 12-Jan-17 13:48:46

It's normally two hourly at that age.

If you fed every two hours, it would eliminate the whole topping up issue.

Wishiwasrunning2 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:56:30

IME all babies are hungry!! Just feed more of the standard formula. The hungry baby formula just has more filler in it i.e. Empty calories.

dementedpixie Thu 12-Jan-17 13:59:00

It's not got 'filler' in it, it is casein based rather than whey based (milk proteins) so it can be harder to digest. I never used it until around 16 weeks or so to help hold off weaning

FlyingFordAnglia Thu 12-Jan-17 14:02:33

Does sound normal for a 4 week old. I toyed with hungry baby milk too as DS2 was feeding often but I've kept him on first stage milk and just fed on demand. We had issues with constipation which resolved themselves so I didn't want to rock the boat.
I fed more often, increasing by 1oz if he drained the bottle consistently over a day or so. And don't worry about the recommended amounts for baby's age on the tin. He'll drink what he wants!

Hellmouth Thu 12-Jan-17 14:04:54

That's normal. My son was doing that at that stage, the HV said just keep feeding him when he needs it and stick to the regular formula

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now