Talk

Advanced search

Please reassure me if you can...!

(21 Posts)
Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:05:52

My children (2 & 5 months) were exposed to chicken pox at my house (unknowingly!) on Monday. The spreader came out in spots the following day... so, was highly contagious when at ours.

I feel like I'm losing my mind with worry, like I'm just waiting for it to infect us. I'm so worried about the baby getting it, and I just am in pieces thinking of my little babies covered in spots and in pain.

I know I sound over the top but it's looming ahead of us for the next 3 weeks (and we're meant to be going on holiday in 2 weeks so that's likely to be cancelled)

I've spent the last 2 days obsessing over it and getting supplies ready, and quite frankly being mentally extremely fucked off with my friend.

I know it's usually mild, but what if it's not?! And what if they're scarred for life?!

And I know they'll get it at some stage, but 2 and 5 months are just too young.

PetalMettle Wed 11-Jan-17 22:08:57

The vast majority of cases are mild and are just a few spots.
That being said you could get older dd vaccinated - I think If you do it within three days it works. That way only one is at risk

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:12:51

Thank you Petal, I didn't know that I'll look into it asap!

Do you happen to know if the incubation period is the same for every child who's infected by the same strand? I.e. 2 weeks for my friends children this 2 weeks for mine?!

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:13:05

Thus not this...'

Blossomdeary Wed 11-Jan-17 22:17:03

Have you had it yourself? Are you breast feeding? - your little one will have some immunity.

I am afraid that what you are going through is a fact of parenthood - we all worry about out little ones getting ill. Thankfully chicken pox is usually mild and nothing more than an irritation.

Please do not blame your friend. Young Mums need their friends!

Talk to your health visitor about your worries and see hat she has to say.

PetalMettle Wed 11-Jan-17 22:18:00

I'm not sure about incubation period TBH. I have the leaflet here on the vaccine, it says that within 3 days it can help prevent or reduce the severity and there's limited information that being vaccinated within 5 days may reduce severity.
They can't give it to infants below 5 months, and your dc shouldn't have it if she's going to be seeing anyone with a weakened immune system, pregnant women who haven't had it or newborn babies who's mothers haven't had it.

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:22:31

Yes thankfully I'm breastfeeding and have had it so I'm praying she'll be protected. Just the thought of it has me in tears!

I know I shouldn't blame my friend, but I'm just getting so frustrated that every time we have people over my children end up with another illness, despite the fact that my son has not (thus far) contracted anything from even blooming nursery!

I just wish people were more careful around babies and I just feel there is no way she didn't know they'd been exposed as they don't go to groups and were with a small number of people over Christmas.

Abraiid2 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:29:35

My daughter had it at three and a half and was barely ill. I had to buy her a scooter because she got so bored being off nursery and we spent a lot of time outside when the other children in our v. small village were at school and nobody else was around to infect.

My son was older, five, and slightly more poorly but not what I would term really ill at all.

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:31:48

Thank you that is a relief! I keep reading horror stories!!

Wolfiefan Wed 11-Jan-17 22:33:07

Her child could have picked it up at the supermarket or library or on a bus. YABU to assume the mother knew she had a child incubating CP.
Your kids may well not get it.
If they do then it may well be mild. Prepare for the worst. (Get the supplies in. Food and medicines and nappies etc) but hope for the best.

TheCakes Wed 11-Jan-17 22:36:43

I hope this reassures you...
My oldest caught it at 3 and my youngest was only 5 weeks. I was breastfeeding.
The youngest only got about eight spots and wasn't really poorly with it. I always expected he'd get it again as it was so mild, but he's 10 now and it's done the rounds at nursery and school umpteen times, and he's missed it. So that mild, early case was him done.

redcaryellowcar Wed 11-Jan-17 22:40:26

My children got it a couple of year ago at Christmas, the youngest was 9m at the time and whilst he was covered in spots and had it quite badly, he didn't seem to struggle as much as the older one (3yrs at the time) it isn't a very nice illness, but it will be ok and I'm sure your HV or gp will happily chat this through with you if you want, if you go into the surgery perhaps ask for a side room to wait in in case other vulnerable people are there. If you do end up with chicken pox, we found piriton was good to relieve itching and calpol. I think for some reason you aren't supposed to give ibuprofen based meds, but I would have to check that? We also used poxclin, it's very gentle to apply which is good on sore skin, it's a very light foam. Bicarbonate or soda in a shallow bath (so it's not too dilute) was good for drying up spots and also a bit of entertainment in an otherwise fairly tedious time!?

PetalMettle Thu 12-Jan-17 06:35:33

Yes you're right about ibuprofen. You shouldn't have aspirin either but kids aren't allowed that anyway are they? m.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/shocking-pictures-show-why-you-should-never-give-a-child-with-chickenpox-these-common-painkillers/story-30041740-detail/story.html

Luckystar1 Thu 12-Jan-17 08:50:04

Thank you. I've booked the vaccine for the oldest for tomorrow so I'm praying it will work it's magic!

PetalMettle Thu 12-Jan-17 22:56:02

Best of luck! Fwiw none of me or my sisters got it as kids despite it frequently going round school, hopefully the same will apply in your case

corythatwas Mon 16-Jan-17 09:22:06

Re the friend, if the spots only came out the following day, how could she possibly be more careful around your lo?

You say your toddler has been ill before after friends visiting the house- are you sure he has never given those illnesses to some other child either at home or at nursery? Have you always known by magic when he was incubating something and kept him away from all other children, whether at nursery or at home? If not, do you feel their mothers should be blaming you?

Chickenpox is never nice, but you need to control that anxiety if it means you will be judging other people by standards you wouldn't apply to yourself.

annlee3817 Mon 16-Jan-17 13:01:21

My DD had it last year just after her first birthday and she had it really bad. Day three was the worst day but by day five they started scabbing over and she was a lot better. She was quite settled on day one and two. She has some bad scars but eight months on they are starting to fade, so I expect she'll only be left with a few.

babyblabber Mon 16-Jan-17 13:15:47

My two had it at 3 and 8 months. Wasn't bad at all. Good few spots and they were out of sorts for a few days but that was it. I found Pox Clin (think that's the name) great.

I myself never had chicken pox but was immune when tested when pregnant. Doctor said I probably caught the virus and was unwell but had a very mild dose with no spots.

Don't get so worried, it could be a really mild illness and then they're immune, great!

Jackiebrambles Mon 16-Jan-17 13:21:02

My 18 month old has just had it. It really wasn't that bad. She had most spots on her chest/back and face/scalp. We had a couple of awful nights with her but it was all done in a week. She's still got scabs but is back to her old self.

We used piriton, calpol, pox clin, vira soothe gel and oat baths (with some bicarb of soda in too). The baths def helped. Definitely no nurofen!

WhatHaveIFound Mon 16-Jan-17 13:27:36

DS didn't catch it when DD had it (he was a few days old and she was 3 years old) and hasn't caught it since despite being at nursery full time from 6 months old.

He's now 12 years old and still hasn't had it!

littleoctonauts Mon 16-Jan-17 20:50:02

Hope all is ok OP. Don't be hard on your friend. My ds got chicken pox while we went on a primary school open day. We were literally just walking through classrooms. His first single spot was on his ggenitals, I was really worried about a spot there and took him to the Dr, they diagnosed it as a molluscum contagiosum spot (he had had this virus for months). The next day he broke out in more spots. We had no idea he had been exposed until he got it then I remembered the poster in the school about it, that I hadn't paid much attention to when we visited (it was just on the front door, I saw it for all of five seconds before I had to go in). But even the school didn't think the case they had of chicken pox was significant enough to cancel the open days.

Basically, it's possible to be exposed and not know about it, and even to start developing symptoms of fever or even a spot and it not be clear immediately what it is. Unless you have evidence your friend was careless you should give her the benefit of the doubt.flowers

Hope the vaccination worked and your littlest escapes it too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now