Talk

Advanced search

Please someone save my sanity!

(4 Posts)
Orlandointhewilderness Tue 10-Jan-17 20:33:57

I am a single parent to a DD who is 5 1/2. Since March this year we have been living with my DPs. They are wonderful people who are very close to DD, my DM in particular. They have a very matey, indulgent relationship and my DM is (I think) lenient with regards to behaviour.
On the other hand, DM tells me I am too harsh on DD sometimes. I'm not very tolerant of bad behaviour. For example, I will ask DD to tidy up toys after playing. She will grumble, I will tell her and DM will do it for her while saying they will do it together. DD then doesn't lift a finger and DM will do it all!

Anyway, my problem is this! Bedtime. DD has always been exceptionally good at bedtime. The last 2 months or so she has been horrific and I am despairing. It has got worse over Christmas. She goes under sufferance, we have a nice bedtime and a story etc. I come down, then she will be out of bed and reading/playing/ endlessly going for a wee. I tell her off and she will scream for Grandma. They are away at the min and she has been screaming at me for an hour. I'm out of ideas and at the end of my tether. I hate having to be mean Mummy. Any comfort on offer from you fab people?

booellesmum Tue 10-Jan-17 20:39:26

She's 5 1/2 so ignoring her is definitely an option.
Stay really calm and say " It is bedtime now, granny is not here I am and it us bedtime. You are only allowed to call me if there is an emergency ie you vomit or the house is on fire. If you call me up and it is not an emergency the consequence will be ..." Then say whatever works for her. No pocket money/ TV/ ipad etc.
Keep repeating calmly and follow through.
Good luck.

booellesmum Tue 10-Jan-17 20:45:46

While she is screaming have a glass of wine.
You deserve it!
If she does get pocket money and you stop it you can put it towards more wine!
Mine are now 15 and 12 so have a lot of experience being a mean mom. They do not resent it and find stories of their appalling behaviour as little ones quite funny now.

Orlandointhewilderness Tue 10-Jan-17 23:03:00

Thank you both! She packed up screaming at about 9. I ignored her. After establishing she didn't have any severed limbs etc!

No wine in the house unfortunately! Could do with a bloody big glass!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now