Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just started driving, is it best to put my 3 year old in passenger seat or back seat?

(15 Posts)
caroline29woohooo Tue 10-Jan-17 15:04:15

I've just got a car and I'm planning on putting car seat in my car for my three year old. I've seen a mum with a toddler in passenger seat, I think it's good idea as she is right next to me, but I've heard it's best if they are in the back. What do you guys think? What do you do?

Gloriarty Tue 10-Jan-17 15:05:06

Back.

It drives me spare when they lean forward and block the mirror or fiddle with the dials.

Also safer.

Smidge001 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:06:16

I didn't think you were actually allowed to put them in the front unless there weren't any spare seats in the back?

WaitrosePigeon Tue 10-Jan-17 15:06:29

They really shouldn't be in the front.

alwaysthepessimist Tue 10-Jan-17 15:07:09

are they allowed in the front? What's the actual law on it?

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Tue 10-Jan-17 15:08:01

Back is far safer than front.

OneWithTheForce Tue 10-Jan-17 15:10:17

Middle of back row and rear facing is safest.

Nishky Tue 10-Jan-17 15:12:11

Definitely back at that age.

NannyR Tue 10-Jan-17 15:14:01

Middle back seat is the safest spot in a car.

M0stlyHet Tue 10-Jan-17 15:14:14

I hate to scare you witless, but google "internal decapitation", then buy a rear facing seat and put it in the back. Three year old's necks are not strong enough to cope with whiplash effects in a crash.

Thinkingblonde Tue 10-Jan-17 15:15:13

Back seat. You can buy mirrors that attach to your rear view mirror that allow you see if all is ok.

OneWithTheForce Tue 10-Jan-17 15:15:27

Do not google internal decpaitation! hmm the name alone is enough to describe what it means.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Tue 10-Jan-17 16:08:12

My brother was killed in a car accident. I saw somewhere that you are 80% more likely to die as a front seat passenger than a rear seat one. Back always for us.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 10-Jan-17 17:12:01

Absolutely only in the back seat. It is much safer and if the car has a passenger airbag, they can kill a small child.

lalalalyra Tue 10-Jan-17 17:19:54

The middle seat in the back is the safest seat in the car. Rear facing is safer, however the main thing is a properly fitted car seat - something like 60% of car seats are poorly and/or incorrectly fitted!

If you do end up having to put your child in the front for whatever reason then they must be forward facing (unless your airbag can be deactivated, but even then it's not really recommended) and you should move the seat as far back as possible to put distance between them and the airbag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now