Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chicken pox

(16 Posts)
Luckystar1 Tue 10-Jan-17 13:56:15

I have 2 children 2 & 5 months.

A child who was at our house yesterday has come out in chicken pox spots today.

They're going to get it aren't they?! We're due to go on holiday in just over 2 weeks sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 10-Jan-17 21:54:50

Oh no! Are you flying?

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 06:55:55

Yes sad

Unless they're not going to get it at all, they'll either have it when we're meant to be flying or when we're there.

I'm just so upset as I really, really needed this break (first world problem obviously).

And the baby is just so little to get them

annlee3817 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:05:52

I had a play date with a friends little girl two days before my DD broke out in Chicken Pox and she didn't get it, so fingers crossed you'll be ok. her spots did start to scab over after 6 days and she was fine to return to nursery after a week, so hopefully you'll be ok if they do get it.

annlee3817 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:05:55

I had a play date with a friends little girl two days before my DD broke out in Chicken Pox and she didn't get it, so fingers crossed you'll be ok. her spots did start to scab over after 6 days and she was fine to return to nursery after a week, so hopefully you'll be ok if they do get it.

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:07:09

Thank you! Do you know how long before your daughter was exposed and the pox appearing?

Both of the children here were infected at the same time as they got spots within a day of each other, but they'd have been exposed together. That must've been well over 2 weeks ago.

Does the chicken pox virus have different 'strains'? Do some take longer to appear than others??

We need to get it asap, so we can be cleared to fly, but we were only exposed on Monday.

annlee3817 Wed 11-Jan-17 23:57:59

It was absolutely rife in her nursery and four other babies in her room got it at the same time, however the other babies didn't get it. It had been around her nursery for a few weeks, so it's hard to tell when the exposure started. She had a really bad strain of it, was absolutely covered in 100's of pox, in her mouth too. She recovered quickly though, took a few weeks for the scabs to really heal. My friends little girl that didn't get it then, got it a few months later, one week before their holiday, not too bad a case and they were fine to fly.

Fingers crossed for you.

AppleMagic Thu 12-Jan-17 00:04:45

Incubation period varies but is about 10-21 days from memory so you'd be cutting it really fine unless your holiday is closer to three weeks away.

BatBoobs Thu 12-Jan-17 00:25:37

You may be ok. My eldest son had it, and at the time slept in the same bed with his younger brother (I didn't see the initial spots!). His younger brother didn't catch it!

splendide Thu 12-Jan-17 06:29:00

If you get vaccinated after exposure it can stop CP developing. Don't know if your baby is too young though?

splendide Thu 12-Jan-17 06:31:39

Just checked and it's only from 12 months.

If I were you I'd get the toddler vaccinated anyway as then you're halving your chances plus looking after 2 poxy babies doesn't sound fun.

I hope it all works ok whatever happens anyway!

Luckystar1 Thu 12-Jan-17 08:51:12

Thank you so much for the info on the vaccine. I've booked the older one in for tomorrow so I'm hoping it will still work. I've been reading all the research and we might just make it...

splendide Thu 12-Jan-17 09:05:18

Great, good luck!

Northend77 Thu 12-Jan-17 09:43:42

When my twins had it there was a 3 week gap between the second one getting it after the first's had almost cleared up and they live together! Fingers crossed for you that you get your holiday

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 12-Jan-17 09:50:52

You might escape it. 3 of my 4 dc had CP last year. Dd had a friend for tea on the friday & ds came out in spots on the monday, so would have been contagious. The friend didn't get them. For us the timeline was this: Ds had it, 2 weeks later dd2 came out in spots then 2 weeks after that dd1 got it. I was really worried about the baby (8 months at the time) catching it but he didn't. I really don't know how. He was still mainly drinking breast milk then but I'm not immune to cp. I didn't get it either but did get a very nasty secondary infection from it that knocked me for 6.

Luckystar1 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:20:51

I don't know what would be worse, getting it before the holiday and not being able to go, or getting it while on holiday and being effectively room bound for the whole time!! Probably the latter!

I hope the vaccine works, it just feels like a horrible waiting game!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now