Talk

Advanced search

So tired and miserable

(20 Posts)
Cranb0rne Tue 10-Jan-17 01:56:06

Yet again I have been up for hours with my 12 month old. This has been going on for weeks, several hours every night. I am literally running on empty. It's not his fault as he's had a cold for the past month and can't sleep due to a stuffy nose. Tonight he has been coughing for 2 hours. I work in a busy job 4 full days a week and am not sure how much more I can take. I was in work yesterday having had 3 hours sleep in the early hours. I have to drive to work and back. Not sure what I want really, just to get out in words how miserable life is with chronic sleep deprivation sad

Cakingbad Tue 10-Jan-17 02:25:45

That sounds really, really tough. It may not help to say this but it's a phase and it won't go on forever. In the meantime, would he sleep if you just brought him into your bed? Could you have a couple of days off?

Cakingbad Tue 10-Jan-17 02:27:34

Have you taken him to a GP?

Aquamarine1029 Tue 10-Jan-17 04:41:04

I am so so sorry you're struggling, but I promise this stage will pass and you will work it out. Never doubt you're a great mom.

GizmoFrisby Tue 10-Jan-17 05:43:09

Op I have had the same with my dd 20m. Please take him to the gps as we were prescribed antibiotics straight away for cough alone.

GizmoFrisby Tue 10-Jan-17 05:46:55

And now her cough/virus has gone and she is sleeping fine. Nhs advice is if the cough is disturbing the little ones sleep to take them to get checked out. It might be bronchiolitis. Please get him checked out

bittapitta Tue 10-Jan-17 05:50:58

It is really miserable, I've been there and I sympathise. Some ideas - can your partner deal with him overnight to give you a break. Can you work from home. Don't be afraid to take a day off sick to sleep.

christinarossetti Tue 10-Jan-17 05:57:09

Second taking him to GP today. Two hours of coughing sounds like more than a cold.

Take care.

Cranb0rne Tue 10-Jan-17 09:45:26

Thank you for the kind replies. Took him to GP and it's just a cold which we have to grit our teeth and get through sad

We are now co-sleeping as physically getting up every hour at night with my first son nearly drove me insane. I will book a couple of days off work I think, as tiring as it is being at home with the kids at least I'm not dashing out of the door at 7.30.

I know it will get better in the spring, hate this time of year!

Cakingbad Tue 10-Jan-17 10:38:34

The best thing would be a fortnight somewhere warm and sunny with a lovely night nanny to help look after your boys. Maybe Kate Middleton would do Wife Swap with you? Otherwise it's just time and spring.
Don't forget to look after yourself as well as your boys. Do take time off if you need it.

memyselfandaye Tue 10-Jan-17 10:57:55

Do you use olbas oil and saline nasal spray when he has a cold? (known in our house as snot drops and snot spray)

I've always put a few drops of olbas on the pj's and at the top of the sheet behind his head along with a couple of squirts of nose spray.

HaylJay Tue 10-Jan-17 11:21:05

This sounds so tough, hang in you see doing very well and this will pass although it doesn't feel like it right now.
Is taking sick leave an option for you possibly from the GP?

Scrumptiouscrumpets Tue 10-Jan-17 13:18:25

I feel your pain, DS1 has suffered from a terrible cold these last weeks and seeing as he can't sleep with a stuffy nose, he was awake for hours every night, for weeks. It really is awful, so awful you don't know how awful it is unless you've been there.

Do you use a decongestant or hypertonic saline spray for his nose? You don't need a prescription for the hypertonic saline spray, ask your chemist.

We also did the following: got a humidifier for his room to ensure air humidity is at least 50%. (Hanging a load of washing to dry in the evening is another possibility.) Set the heating to not more than 19 degrees. Raised the head of his cot a little by putting books underneath it. We also cut up an onion and put it underneath his cot as apparently this helps, that's how desperate we were!

What really did it was ten days of antibiotics though.

GizmoFrisby Tue 10-Jan-17 13:28:21

I would go back to gp op for a second opinion

Cranb0rne Tue 10-Jan-17 19:23:28

Think I will. His nose is so blocked that he can't even drink his milk. He's had a bath and has vaporub on his chest.

memyselfandaye Tue 10-Jan-17 23:42:39

Have you used a saline spray OP? It will clear his nose long enough to take his milk and get to sleep

LuchiMangsho Tue 10-Jan-17 23:47:29

After a warm bath, saline spray. Then vaporub on his feet with socks. Calpol. And I always give cough medicine for 3-4 days. Make sure the room isn't humid as well. And let him sleep slightly upright.
DS is mildly asthmatic so winters are a pain so I speak from experience.

GizmoFrisby Wed 11-Jan-17 05:58:20

Definitely go back. Poor thing. Have u tried dollop of Vicks in a bowl of hot water in his room. Make sure he can't get to it though. Also second the Vicks on feet then socks on.

Cranb0rne Wed 11-Jan-17 20:56:39

Thanks again for the replies. He was much better last night, hardly coughed at all, so we've all had a better day today smile I have bought saline drops for his nose.

Cakingbad Thu 12-Jan-17 10:32:03

Good news. Well done little Cranb0rne.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now