Talk

Advanced search

6mo keeps getting greasy hair but can't bath him often

(14 Posts)
sleepwhatsleep Mon 09-Jan-17 09:58:36

He's being treated for eczema so can only bath him twice a week at the most. He doesn't have a lot of hair but only the day after he's had a bath his hair is greasy and it's really noticeable as he is very fair blonde apart from the greasy bit at the front where it's long. We use Johnson's baby shampoo (the dream/sleep one). Can anyone offer any advice or a different brand to try?

Stormwhale Mon 09-Jan-17 09:59:59

Can you not just hold him over the baby bath and use a jug to wash his hair?

ItsyBitsyBikini Mon 09-Jan-17 10:00:34

Try the asda own brand one. My son has really bad cradle cap but like yours is being treated for eczema so no baths often. I just use a bit of the asda baby shampoo with a wet flannel and so he doesn't have a full bath. Alternatively Johnsons do the top to toe wash in handy wet wipes. They come in useful if I am in a rush.

tissuesosoft Mon 09-Jan-17 10:01:12

I found that with the dream/sleep johnsons, made DD's skin quite dry too. We now use the yellow johnsons baby shampoo and haven't had any problems since

Introvertedbuthappy Mon 09-Jan-17 10:02:32

Baby's hair is fine to be cleaned with just water - baby shampoo isn't recommended for eczema sufferers (like my children).

NannyR Mon 09-Jan-17 10:04:20

Are you using bath stuff like oilatum in his bath? That can make their hair look greasy although it is clean.
Another thought is that you don't really need to use shampoo on babies hair, I don't use it until they are older and have food/paint etc in their hair.

Cakescakescakes Mon 09-Jan-17 10:04:29

Hold him over the sink and wash it ? Do you use Oilatum or something similar in his bath. If you then use bath water to rinse or wash his hair then the oily film will be going on his hair. Try washing and rinsing with fresh water from a jug.

Believeitornot Mon 09-Jan-17 10:05:30

Given he's a baby I wouldn't worry about greasy hair.....

SausageSoda Mon 09-Jan-17 10:06:55

I use this stuff on my 6 month old DD (even though technically she's not a newborn anymore! grin) its more expensive than some but it can be bought for cheaper than what this website is selling it for.

I'd do as others suggested. Wash hair over sink without having a bath. I find this shampoo really easy to rinse.

www.landyschemist.com/mustela-foam-shampoo-for-new-borns-150ml?gclid=CMa4i6PntNECFYU-GwodHCgHwg

GertrudeBelle Mon 09-Jan-17 10:09:05

Johnsons is the devil's work for dry skin and eczema. I would not use it at all.

We use Organic Babies lavender baby wash and shampoo which has worked well with my DC' sensitive skin for years.

DailyFail1 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:10:53

Just water.

lornathewizzard Mon 09-Jan-17 10:44:19

We always used just water too, and in fact only recently started using shampoo for 2.5yo DD (although she's hardly any hair)

Nottalotta Mon 09-Jan-17 10:53:11

I wouldn't use any Johnsons product, especially on an eczema sufferer.

Aveeno do a baby range now which is very good.

NickyEds Mon 09-Jan-17 21:54:05

Childs Farm range was good when ds had eczema but Tbh we only used it when it wasn't flaring up, otherwise just water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now