Talk

Advanced search

DD (9) drawing violent images involving myself and DP

(8 Posts)
Markb123 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:39:53

That might be an alarming title, the drawings are of stick men with guns, and bullets coming out of them aimed at other stick people, labelled with my name (I'm her father) and my DP's name (step-mother).

Has anyone got any experience of this and what it means (if anything)?

Also writing next to the figures saying "I hate XXXX" but then alongside that a "Sometimes" footnote. DD threw away some of the drawings the other day (they had previously been in her drawer), although she still has a notebook with some drawings in.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 14:10:13

No idea sorry. Has she seen any images like this recently? Do you watch the news when she's there or films or games depicting people with guns?

TheLivingAsheth Fri 06-Jan-17 14:14:48

I did this kind of thing as a child, probably aged about 10. Not my parents, but my friends - I didn't write their names but they were obviously identifiable by their hair as my mum knew who they were when she found them! She took me aside and asked with deep concern if everything was alright with these friends, and I was mortified, I hadn't wanted her to see the pics, they were just something I did when feeling particularly annoyed. I was and am a bit of a good girl and people pleaser, so I guess it was a way of relieving frustrations without hurting people in real life. I am not a serial killer or anything nowadays!

Msqueen33 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:21:11

My dd is seven and has autism and when she's angry she's been known to draw other children with horns or say she wants her sister to go live somewhere else. It comes from anxiety. Is your dd anxious about anything? Any changes in her life?

Markb123 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:55:06

She doesn't really see films or games with guns in them, although she goes on youtube a lot so maybe she sees something on there.

I split from my exW just over a year ago and have moved a couple of times since and my DP has moved in so a fair amount of changes. I do need to have more chats with her about how she's feeling, I'm not sure whether to bring up the drawings directly or just ask how she is feeling

Latte35 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:59:47

Drawings can be an excellent way to start conversations with children about what they have drawn and explore with them what they were creating. I'd ask her to do more and see what she comes up with, or spend a while drawing with her- it might be relevant to her feelings at present about something, or it might be her creating ideas about something unrelated to anything in particular- but do discuss it with her- in sure it will be very insightful.

Msqueen33 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:29:10

Sounds like all the changes have probably had an impact. Drawing is a way to get those feelings out and gives you a chance to gently talking to her about how she feels.

SenseiWoo Fri 06-Jan-17 15:30:20

please keep an eye on your DD's Youtube use. There is all kinds of stuff on there-children this age need to be supervised!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now