Talk

Advanced search

Confused about what advice people give?!

(8 Posts)
RPC3110 Fri 06-Jan-17 08:16:24

Do you think it's right for someone without children and with very little experience of children in general to tell you how to parent your baby? They complain my baby cries and screams all day, he is currently ill with a viral infection so he's bound to cry and scream because he doesn't feel well (my baby normally is a happy chirpy baby so it's not like him to cry and scream all day), then they say when I pick him up that I'll create separation anxiety or make him a mummy's boy. He two months old and unwell, surely at this age it's not spoiling them to cuddle them when there crying in pain.

Heirhelp Fri 06-Jan-17 09:32:41

That is annoying. Whatever they say reply that's odd because my fully qualified HV says the opposite.

BTW seperation anxiety is normal but research suggest the more you cuddle your baby the more secure their attachment and then less sever their attachment. Do you have a sling?

If you baby is crying lots then they need to be checked out by a doctor. Lots of crying when he does not have a viral infection could be an indication that something else is going on like reflux.

annlee3817 Fri 06-Jan-17 09:59:38

Everyone loves to have an opinion. I picked my DD up everytime she cried and apparently made a rod for my own back hmm she's 19 months now, is great when I drop her off at nursery or to my parents and doesn't cling to me everywhere we go, she's an independent little toddler, so it clearly did her no harm. Hope he feels better soon smile

RPC3110 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:04:32

Yeah I have ordered a sling im hoping it'll be here soon.

As for his illness I took him to see the doctor and explained about crying, possible fever and not settling when put down, the doctor checked him over and said he was fine just a cold or viral infection. He does have a cold because he's all snotty and we've all had one in the house over Xmas.
I'm seeing a paediatric doctor at the hospital next Tuesday for issues with his tongue when he was born so I could ask them what they think

Rogue187 Fri 06-Jan-17 23:09:47

You know what's best for your baby.

Cuddle your baby as much as you like, sod everyone else. flowers

Bellaposy Fri 06-Jan-17 23:13:10

Ignore the bastards. All the studies I've read have shown that cuddling actually promotes a secure attachment and therefore less anxiety. My daughter was very 'clingy' at that age but now at 7 months she's smiley, happy and sociable. You'll make a rod for your own back is one of those sayings that makes me wish I'd learnt a good right hook years ago. You're doing great 😊

Boobiebalfie Fri 06-Jan-17 23:17:13

Ignore,ignore,ignore!!!!
Everyone has an opinion, it's your baby do what you feel is best

Heirhelp Sat 07-Jan-17 14:48:24

I wish I had got a sling in the early days.

If in doubt it is always best to check with the docs. I don't know if it is true but I was told tongue tie and reflux go hand in hand.

I find calpol plugs great for colds.

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job. Well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now