Talk

Advanced search

What age did you give DC a blanket?

(23 Posts)
kelj2 Fri 06-Jan-17 07:02:32

What age did you give your child a blanket in their crib/cot?

BubbleFairy Fri 06-Jan-17 07:07:37

Like a comfort blanket? Both mine were swaddled in theirs from birth, then from about six weeks or so they were used as comfort blankets in the crib with them (down the side of them, under their head or similar)

They're 8 and 10 and still have them......

Artandco Fri 06-Jan-17 07:12:28

Aboit 3 months after not swaddled

NotCitrus Fri 06-Jan-17 07:17:15

3 days - once home, used to put ds on one so I could move him around easily. He loved blankets. Dd had one over her grobag from birth (winter), but never grabbed it.

HappyAsASandboy Fri 06-Jan-17 07:30:47

Mine all had a comfort teddy and a for-warmth blanket from birth.

kelj2 Fri 06-Jan-17 09:13:35

Sorry I meant a blanket for warmth. Not a swaddle. We were using a sleeping bag/gro bag but DH thinks she's old enough for a blanket (she's 1) but she moves around so much that I doubt she'd keep it on.

Artandco Fri 06-Jan-17 09:17:05

Yes for warmth here. First three months swaddled, then had blanket. Never used sleeping bags

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Fri 06-Jan-17 09:17:07

DD had a blanket when she was teeny tiny and slept like a little log. But when she was a couple of months old she just got too fidgety in her sleep so she's in sleeping bags now. We recently bought some 6-18 month ones from M&S so I'm sure your DD would still fit in them fine. I'd keep her in the bags if they're working. Is there a reason that your DH wants her o use blankets instead?

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Fri 06-Jan-17 09:17:37

*to use blankets!

NapQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 09:19:05

Ds is 2.4 and still in his Grobags. Once this one is too small we will dig out Dds old cot beg duvet and pillow.

kiki22 Fri 06-Jan-17 09:19:57

Ds1 had a blanket from about 10 months over his sleep bag kicked it off every night and still the same at almost 5 I still give him his blanket with his quilt in the hope he cant escape both

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 09:21:40

DC1 had a blanket like this one. One morning when he was around 8 months old I found he had pulled a long thread and had the thread wrapped around his neck whilst in his cot. Frightening. I don't know why these are marketed as baby blankets. Solid fleece blankets are safer.

BastardGoDarkly Fri 06-Jan-17 09:23:53

Probably 2 when she grew out of her bag, and we decided on a cot quilt.

NotSoHankyPanky Fri 06-Jan-17 09:29:36

That's terrifying Molly. Always assumed they were s after for a small baby as mesh meant they could breathe.

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 09:35:00

Yes, as a new mum I had assumed the same. DC1 was an inquisitive wriggly baby, climbed out of cot and so on. Having seen what he did with the blanket, I wd strongly recommend not using them.

Camomila Fri 06-Jan-17 09:50:28

DS has always had a blanket, tucked in at the bottom the cot rather than swaddled. He's quite a 'hot' baby so sleeps through kicking the blanket off.

I bought him a grow bag but he starts sweating in it.

BubbleFairy Fri 06-Jan-17 10:44:22

For warmth, we just used sleeping bags. Once they were too small we swapped to fleece onesies, which went over their babygrows. They had cot duvets from the age of one, but tbh they never got used! Even now they get bunched up at the ends of their beds.

kelj2 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:17:48

Thank you for all of your responses! She definitely still fits in sleeping bags as she's tiny for her age. I think DH wants her to have a blanket because now she's 1 and just started walking I think he sees her as a big girl who needs a blanket so she can cuddle (mind you she already sleeps with two dummies, a little comforter toy and a little stuffed animal that plays lullabies) so i think she has plenty of things for comfort. I'm from Australia also so it's rather hot over here at the moment so she definitely doesn't need it for the warmth side of things

Natsku Fri 06-Jan-17 12:20:54

DD had a duvet in her cot in the hospital when she was born, which took me by surprise. At home I swaddled her and then switched to sleeping bags when she stopped liking swaddling but used blankets as well on colder nights/for naps. She got a proper blanket when she was a year old but switched back to sleeping bags soon after until she was 2.5.

Soubriquet Fri 06-Jan-17 12:22:00

From birth. Dd still has hers at 3. Ds has a different one now. He prefers a bigger one

Both fleece blankets

Christmasbaby16 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:51:26

The fleece onesies....are these safe to sleep in? Note somebody mentioned they used these instead of blanket/bag.
Our 6week old is wrapped in his blanket but not swaddled -arms out and wrapped from under armpits with cellular blanket, with the excess length tucked under back of his lower legs.
Confused now whether we are doing it "right"

NapQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 16:07:13

I think the fleece onesies over a sleepsuit should work instead of a blanket or Grobags but I never fancied using mine for overnught sleep as I've always found fleece makes me sweat.

We used the loads over clothes for going out in the car in the cold as they are things enough to be safe in a car seat.

BubbleFairy Fri 06-Jan-17 17:03:02

I always used fleece covers on night nappies (washables) and can't see why you couldn't sleep in fleece? My old house was ancient and cold so they wore double layers, but once we moved they slept in vests and fleece onesies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now