Talk

Advanced search

Please help! Baby brought up fresh vlood with clots :(

(12 Posts)
PassTheCake82 Fri 06-Jan-17 02:12:45

Hi everyone, before I get started or before anyone goes ballistic at me asking this online, my baby has been seen at a hospital regarding this and I have sought advice from my midwife as well. The issue is that no one seems to havr any experience of this which is making me so incredibly anxious.
To cut a long story short, I burped my baby on his first morning at home (he's 4 days old) and 2+ tablespoons of fresh blood with clots came up. Way more than would've been caused by sore or cracked nipples.

Anyway, we took him to the hospital amd the paediatric doc said he seemed fonr otherwise so just to monitor the issue from home. The midwife came out later that day and she too was unsure but agreed it warranted being looked at.

Aside from constant sleep in one eye and some symtons of jaundice, baby seems okay but I can't sleep for worry. Anyone any idea?..Thank You xx

Ginger782 Fri 06-Jan-17 03:11:16

I would be pushing for a second and third opinion from additional pediatricians.

Ginger782 Fri 06-Jan-17 03:12:23

Oh, and take photos of what's coming up. It will be easier to show a doctor than verbally explain it.

PassTheCake82 Fri 06-Jan-17 03:36:58

I took this with me. It's a lot!

Ginger782 Fri 06-Jan-17 04:02:40

I would simply make an appointment with a doctor - not go to the emergency department - and if that doctor says "because I don't know what it is you should just go home" I'd be very surprised.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 06-Jan-17 05:05:17

Yes go back to dr. You poor thing that must be so scary when little one is so young.
Push for another opinion flowers

TropicPlunder Fri 06-Jan-17 23:53:09

This did happen to me, also when my baby was 4 days old. Looks like a similar amount too. We rushed to a&e and they found no problem with baby and concluded the blood was from me breast feeding. It actually was, although it looked a lot. I later expressed milk and confirmed I was bleeding. I actually used formula for 2 days (and kept expressing) and the baby didn't burp up blood again. I then went back to exclusive breast feeding and it didn't happen again. I think the formula feeding and expressing reassured me that it was me bleeding only and nothing wrong with the baby. It was terrifying at the time. I really hope all is well with you.

neversleepagain Sat 07-Jan-17 09:14:17

This happened to my sister and the blood was from her through brestfeeding.

Is he a very big baby who feeds a lot?

GinIsIn Sat 07-Jan-17 09:17:32

It's most likely your blood from breastfeeding, or they can cough up all sorts of things in the first days due to having swallowed stuff during the birth.

SoupDragon Sat 07-Jan-17 09:19:17

Firstly, remember that a little blood goes a long way. Especially when it's mixed with other liquid.

How many times has It Happened?

tappitytaptap Sat 07-Jan-17 16:02:44

This happened to me twice when breastfeeding. A little blood looks a lot! It freaked me out too OP but the doctor at the hospital said it was surprisingly common. I think in your pic the blood is diluted with milk so the marks look bigger than the amount.

Quodlibet Sat 07-Jan-17 16:05:45

This happened to me on day 4 too - it was completely terrifying but was from BF (which was very painful at the time). I was in hospital anyway as DS was having IV ABs so I saw a paed immediately but I remember how stressful it was.
In my case it also looked like far more blood than could possibly be from BF, but that's what it was. It forms clots in their stomach. I also had blood in my expressed milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now