Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When did you stop using sleep sacks for your babies?

(20 Posts)
snarferson Wed 04-Jan-17 20:46:47

Just as the title says really. My 1.5 year old has started unzipping hers at night. It's still fastened at the shoulders but largely when I go in she's semi removed it.

I was very PFB? anxious for ages that if I used a blanket she would kick it off and get cold or suffocate in it but I think I'm starting to get over that now smile. My DPs and DMIL are dead so I'm generally just muddling along at being mum and feeling generally clueless about simple things.

Would it be ok to start using blankets now?

fluffandsnuff Wed 04-Jan-17 20:49:41

You could use holey blankets if you're worried. I used gro bags up to 2.5 years when DS started taking them off. Now I sneak up before I go to bed advice he always throws off the blankets and I have to put them back.

NapQueen Wed 04-Jan-17 20:50:28

Could you put it on back to front?

snarferson Wed 04-Jan-17 20:56:34

I was given lots of holey blankets when she was born!

That's a good idea about putting them on backwards but some have the zips on the side so don't think it would fool her for long grin

Shedoesntgetthatfromme Wed 04-Jan-17 21:03:04

If you want to stick with sleeping bags try the Grobag travel ones, they're pretty secure and my Houdini daughter never managed to escape from them even though she was out of the standard ones in a few minutes.
But if you want to give up on the sleeping bags then you can lay the duvet or blanket longways across the cot/bed so you can tuck the ends in under the mattress so she can't kick it off. Don't tuck it in too tightly though, it needs to be loose enough so she isn't constricted and can shuffle back under it by herself if she needs to. My daughter's got a single duvet on her cotbed so it's long enough to be well tucked under the mattress, and she's never managed to kick it off (yet).

Soubriquet Wed 04-Jan-17 21:05:38

Dd was just over 1. She unzipped them too so we just gave her a duvet from then. Which ended up on the floor until recently

Ds is 2 in March and still uses them. He loves his gro-bags and are part of his routine

JollyHockeyGit Wed 04-Jan-17 22:09:38

DS is still in his at 18 mos, they keep him cosy and safe and he's not started unzipping them yet! Will probably keep him in them until he grows out of them, he's a wriggler so would probably kick blankets off.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Jan-17 22:11:40

Ds is 17 months and still in his. He is such a wriggled, there is no way he'd stay under blankets, ticked in or not. And out house is cold.

isthistoonosy Wed 04-Jan-17 22:14:06

Around 1yr for both kids they both started screaming about the grow bags as soon as they were in anyway mobile - I can only assume.they we're already planning an escape. 😊

neversleepagain Wed 04-Jan-17 22:38:11

At 3 when they moved from cots to beds.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 04-Jan-17 22:40:07

DD is 14months. We stopped using sleeping bags at about 9 months. JojoMamanBebe do padded sleepsuits which we like for cold weather and we use Cellular blankets to cover her if we think she's chilly.

OutnumberedByFurchesters Wed 04-Jan-17 22:43:06

I stopped using them around 13/14months.. as she was getting too tall for the 12-18 month ones. And also it was summer time, so she was getting to hot and therefore had no covers at all, now and again a thin blanket.

Started with a duvet at 17months ish, no problems. And she loves it and sleeps much better with it. smile

AliceInHinterland Wed 04-Jan-17 22:43:21

At about a year as he was always tangled up in his sleeping bag and annoyed.
We used a light quilt from John Lewis, it seemed quite breathable, and layered up clothes (vest under PJs etc).

albertcampionscat Wed 04-Jan-17 23:10:57

mintthins Wed 04-Jan-17 23:14:37

We stopped using them at around 18 months when we figured DD was safer when escaping her cot if she had full movement in her legs. We gave up the cot too when we realised she was safer in a bed.

Runningbutnotscared Thu 05-Jan-17 00:43:05

Just bought a new one for my two year old as I really like them and I think they prevent him from climbing out his cot (they have to be the travel gro-bag ones put on backwards though as he happily removes all the others)

snoopyokay Thu 05-Jan-17 07:54:15

I have never used one - couldn't work out how to get 9 month DD into it without waking her up? She sleeps fine anyway blankets or no blankets grin

Frazzled2207 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:57:07

When we took the side off the cot and gave him a quilt which was when he was about 2. Would have been longer but he had to vacate the cot for dc2.

TooMinty Thu 05-Jan-17 08:04:42

Snoopy - I think most people put the baby in the sleeping bag before they are asleep smile

I try to stick with sleeping bags as long as possible as they restrict movement/escape potential! But I think the advice is that duvets are ok from a year old.

TooMinty Thu 05-Jan-17 08:05:23

Use fleece pjs with feet if you're worried about it getting kicked off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now