Talk

Advanced search

10mo now refusing most food after "successful" weaning

(12 Posts)
TheLegendOfBeans Wed 04-Jan-17 19:03:11

DD is 10mo.
Was on 6 bottles a day of 150ml - two bottles cluster guzzled just before bed.
We've now dropped three bottles in the day (was gradual).
She eats a combo of HIPP Organic jars and food the adults eat...so baby-led for the majority.

This has been going fine for a fortnight, until the past three days.
She's bursting into tears when clapping eyes on her food.
She's not wanting to be spoon fed and is not interested in feeding herself.
She will have maybe one or two spoons or bits of pasta then smashes the lot to the floor.

She's taking 320ml in one go just before bedtime and will NOT settle at all without that volume. Typically, she's making noises again within the hour and needs a top of 120ml. She normally sleeps like a log.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Has anyone got any tips?
Or just fancies holding my hand as it's doing my actual head in?!?!?!

DorotheaHomeAlone Wed 04-Jan-17 19:06:35

Could it be teething or a cold? Mine loved food from the getgo but would occasionally go off it for these reasons. Teething in particular prompted tears at mealtime and refusal after the first couple of bites. A bit of calpol and a softer menu for that meal helped. Yoghurt with a bit of porridge mixed in is particularly good for filling them up.

tissuesosoft Wed 04-Jan-17 19:10:37

My DD was the same around 7 months so had to stop spoon feeding. I would say drop the jars and focus on finger foods during the day- breakfast, lunch, dinner with snacks in between. I give DD some of each meal and when she has eaten it then I put more on until she has finished her portion. My DD is a cow for throwing food on the floor if she had a lot on her tray. I don't have the tv on or give her toys during meal times otherwise she gets too distracted. But as pp said, teething or a cold can have something to do with it as well.

littlejeopardy Wed 04-Jan-17 19:16:41

My 11mo refused to eat for three days last week whilst she was ill. Explosive diarrhoea in the night for two nights on the trot! She was still having breastfeeds though. Its so hard when they are not themselves. But she is back to her toast gobbling self now! Hope yours returns to normal too.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 04-Jan-17 19:55:04

Thanks guys... so the cold/teething thing is probably very right. But in absolute truth she's been on a constant cycle of colds/teething past six months or so. So in a way, it shouldn't matter (but I know it does).

When your wee ones started the food rejection what did you do? Up the bottles and drop the jars/food? I worry about starving her. I worry she'll dehydrate. I worry she'll regress fully and reject food forever.

Also: I've never ever had the home cooked "baby" food I've offered accepted, hence the jars/pouches. I'm worried that I'm in some way depriving her or parenting badly giving her baby slop so often.

WORRY WORRY WORRY WORRY!!!

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 04-Jan-17 19:55:53

Ps: TMI but DD has been doing very solid, adult poos, much like bigger pontefract cakes.

tissuesosoft Wed 04-Jan-17 20:23:02

In no way are you parenting badly, babies just like to give us problems to figure out! I only stopped giving jars as DD refused to be spoonfed. I found finger foods were a good way to gauge how much baby eats until they are full. DD has 3 bottles of 6 ounces a day (she's coming up 11 months now) but last week she was just throwing food around (during meals) but was still hungry so I gave her an extra bottle of about 4 ounces mid afternoon then tried her with dinner. Does she like any foods?

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 04-Jan-17 20:38:30

Her "big fave" is the HIPP 10mo Pasta Carbonara. The only successful adult food I've fed her past 48hrs is grown ups pasta carbonara!

Thanks tissue for reassuring. I feel terrible for getting angry at her and I've shouted when she's dashed the sippy cup to the floor for the thousandth time. sad

tissuesosoft Wed 04-Jan-17 21:15:19

Feel free to pm me anytime! Don't feel terrible at all. Your DD has great taste, I love a carbonara! DD looks me straight in the eye then throws food off the side of her highchair, she knows what she's doing and it frustrated the hell out of me, now I just completely ignore it and she soon gets back to eating then I praise her for eating. Oh, the sippy cup throwing, that annoys me too. I refuse to give her the cup until I know she's eaten quite abit. Have you tried pasta with abit of pesto sauce? Bloody babies! 😉

littlejeopardy Thu 05-Jan-17 19:35:40

Hope your DD is doing better today OP. I just kept offering mine food as normal until she came round again. If you are worried she isn't getting enough fluid you could always give the HV a ring.

TheLegendOfBeans Thu 05-Jan-17 19:38:36

Hello! Thanks for asking... no better really. I'm just leaving it instead of having a running battle at dinner and giving an extra bottle.

Bewildering thing is that she eating fine at nursery though I usually don't believe them when they tell me this so why not at home?

Other than that she's fine, playing happily and in the whole fine x

littlejeopardy Thu 05-Jan-17 23:14:22

Ah well, as long as she is drinking I am sure she will be Ok. Glad that she is happy too, they just like to keep you on the worried side of bewildered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now