Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

god i feel awful

(22 Posts)
ohifeelbad Wed 21-Feb-07 11:32:34

this might sound silly or it might sound awful but god i feel so bad i cant stop thinking about it and i feel like a crap mum.i was playing with my 6month old dd earlier and i dont know why i did it but i threw her "threw" is a bit of a harsh word but couldnt think of another.so i "threw" her just ever so slightly into the air just above my hands.my hands were so close to her but she still left my hands for a second.i did catch her and she was fine but as soon as id done it i was horrified that i had.dp saw me and he couldnt believe how irresponsible it was.we have tiles in our house so i mean for gods sake if anything had gone wrong she couldve cracked her head open or anything.is this really awful or am i worrying too much? god i must sound like a right nutter.has anyone else ever done anything so irresponsible then realised after?i can hardly look at my dd for feeling so awful.

ohsmellyjelly Wed 21-Feb-07 11:41:48

Message withdrawn

inmyopinion Thu 22-Feb-07 06:32:44

what does everyone else think? ive always wondered if this was ok to do...

MrsGoranVisnjic Thu 22-Feb-07 06:38:48

oh fgs .. its not the best idea to chuck around a baby but you did something that's a fairly natural thing to do, almost instinctive .. how many times have you seen similar in films and adverts .. its that normal

and nothing happened .. you're a nutter and you're both (you and dad) seriously seriously over-reacting .. get a grip

katelyle Thu 22-Feb-07 06:43:09

I really don't think you shouldn't worry - isn't this part of how you play with babies and young children? I know I always did - and my children loved being tumbled about like this. Please don't beat yourself up - or let your dp make you feel bad about it. Next time do it whle sitting in the middle of the bed and listen to the delighted giggles from your dd!

MrsGoranVisnjic Thu 22-Feb-07 10:38:10

are you feeling better now madwoman?

Jessajam Thu 22-Feb-07 10:42:20

It is normal and fine. You and dp are over-reacting.
I'm sure there have been studies actually showing that this sort of 'rough and tumble' and 'physical play' is an important part of a child's development as they learn about balance and movement etc etc
DH chucks ds up in the air, in the kitchen, with tiled floor and sometimes he goes sooo close to walloping his head on the ceiling <<winces>> but he LOVES it.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 22-Feb-07 10:52:23

We did this all the time with our babies.

We only ever ended up dropping them when we weren't playing around. Because when you're playing, you're paying loads of attention to what you're doing, but when you're trying to hurry out the door carrying too much, that's when you drop your baby.

itsmeNDaveP Thu 22-Feb-07 10:55:20

We did this with all 3 of the kids and never dropped them once.

So long as you are not chucking them really high, I think the risk of dropping them is pretty small.

cinnamontam Thu 22-Feb-07 11:07:05

I'd be more worried about them vomitting back onto you

This happened a couple of times to me when I was playing with my neices. Hilarious when I think about it now but not so funny back then except everyone else certainly had a bloody good laugh at the time. Probably should have waited a bit longer after that meal

Aloha Thu 22-Feb-07 11:07:54

Well, you do sound like a bit of a nutter tbh First child by any chance? Babies have been thrown gently into the air for generations. They love it. It's normal. Calm down.

Tortington Thu 22-Feb-07 11:08:34

my dh flung our son around circus stylee - over the settee ( in case of dropping)

WinkyWinkola Thu 22-Feb-07 11:11:32

If you're an irresponsible bad parent, then I'm utterly dreadful. I've chucked my son in the air loads of times and erm, a couple of times, his head hit a lamp shade. It's a paper lamp shade but it made him squawk in fright!

Don't worry. You're just fine!

Aloha Thu 22-Feb-07 11:14:02

I was jiggling my ds as a baby on the top deck of the bus and banged his head on the ceiling so loudly that everyone stopped talking and looked at me!

badelaide Thu 22-Feb-07 11:15:20

...once walked through a low doorway with nephew on my shoulders...

dejags Thu 22-Feb-07 11:16:34

I was going to say exactly what Aloha said.

Hope you feel ok now.

TeetheCeeofDavedom Thu 22-Feb-07 11:18:13

Totally natural thing to do and not irresponsible at all.
Jesus if you beat yourself up this bad over something so small and nothing bad even happened you're gonna have a tough road ahead I can tell you. I mean this in the nicest possible way but you both have to massively lighten up. Enjoy her, she'll tsake the odd knock and then, she won't break. My DD is always covered in bruises from throwing herself off things, it's part of growing up, just relax and enjoy your baby.

serenity Thu 22-Feb-07 11:22:07

If you're worried, do it over the bed. I used to (actually still do) things to the Dcs that would make me hurl if someone did it to me. They love it.

TeetheCeeofDavedom Thu 22-Feb-07 11:25:10

I've rough and tumbled my 2 girls from very early ages, I've made them into fearless but totally bonkers kids though!

Sparkler1 Thu 22-Feb-07 11:34:23

Aloha -

Aloha Thu 22-Feb-07 11:35:15

He's never been the same since....

emily05 Thu 22-Feb-07 11:39:01

This is the sort of inccident (of which I have many) that you will look back at one day and smile. As your dd gets older she will get bumps, scrapes and all sorts - and be ok. When they are little they feel so fragile done they!
I think that nature makes us this way - so that we naturally protect our children, dont worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now