Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Residence of child in event of parental death

(3 Posts)
GummyGoddess Tue 03-Jan-17 22:01:55

My DH and I decided a while ago that we want a friend of ours to have our DS in the event of our deaths instead of our parents, with our second choice being DH brother if she feels unable to do it or decides to live outside of the UK.

Friend and brother know this but we don't know how to ensure that this happens as simply naming friend in wills apparently only gives her parental responsibility and she would have to apply for a residency order.

Is there anything we can do to ensure that DS can go straight to her instead of either of our parents? They are not suitable to take care of DS but would probably argue otherwise.

Ilovecaindingle Tue 03-Jan-17 22:02:59

Legal guardians in the event of your death?

GummyGoddess Tue 03-Jan-17 22:06:27

We would want her to raise him if we both died. Hopefully will never happen but we would like the peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: