Talk

Advanced search

How much can 2yo learn within 10 months?

(21 Posts)
QuandryQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 20:50:35

Ds will start preschool Nov 1st this year, the first day of term after he turns 3. It's attached to a school and whilst they obviously can't not take him for being in nappies I'm conscious that they would prefer toilet trained.

He seems nowhere near ready.
He can't name any colours yet
He can point to a star and a cloud and say star or cloud no other shapes
He knows various animal names and sounds
He can't count even say 1 2 3 clearly
He isn't a fan at all of the potty (we have a week away mid Feb and was hoping to start on our return)
He can say a few family members names but can't say his own yet
He likes to scribble which surprised me and holds a pen properly
His speech is basic and unintelligible to anyone that isn't me or dh

So it just seems like he has a mountain to climb before he seems ready.

Marzipants Mon 02-Jan-17 20:53:50

They learn LOADS in 10m. If you're concerned you can send refer to SALT (speech and language therapy) in my area for a proper assessment, but he sounds about right for a 2yo IMO.

Marzipants Mon 02-Jan-17 20:54:12

*Self-refer

QuandryQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 20:55:10

I'm wondering if I need to do anything specific to teach him. We do a bedtime story and sing songs in the bath and chat as we go on walks.

Any good resources or websites I could use for activities that will drive his learning?

I'm slightly panicking that I need to Hot House him!!

Blossomdeary Mon 02-Jan-17 20:58:33

Forget the whole thing - he is fine. No rush for anything. Let him be and just enjoy himself. As long as you talk lots to him all will be well.

m0therofdragons Mon 02-Jan-17 20:58:55

10 months is massive for a 2yo! Huge difference between 2yo and an almost 3yo. Don't worry and go with your dc's speed.

LumelaMme Mon 02-Jan-17 21:00:57

It doesn't sound as if you need to worry. Two year olds develop in leaps and bounds.

One of mine could barely string two words together when she was a month older than your son, never mind do anything elaborate like count (I was beginning to worry about her, TBH). She wasn't potty trained at that stage either.

She started preschool at two and half able to form short sentences, and out of nappies. There was a huge change in just three months.

GruffaloPants Mon 02-Jan-17 21:01:59

You don't need to hot house him. Play, have fun, explore. Let him be a baby. He is too young for formal learning.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 02-Jan-17 21:03:18

The difference in my daughter from just after 2nd birthday to just turned 3 is astounding. She can count to 10, knows colours and shapes and is potty trained (yes!) she also 'writes' holding a pen properly.
But my son didn't have as much difference between those ages and didn't seem to know colours or shapes reliably at nearly 3 and he spent most of his time charging about and causing havoc. He also wasn't potty trained until 3 1/2.
They are all different and you don't need to do much for them to soak things up. Just follow their interests and let them play. If you need to hot-house him for preschool then it's the wrong bloody preschool imo.

monkeyfacegrace Mon 02-Jan-17 21:05:42

He will get there.

My dd1 could barely talk at 3, and was massively behind developmentally.

Ds is very normal in basics, then became verging on top end of clever around 4.

Dd2 is now 20 months and talks in 5 word sentences, counts to 20, knows all colours and shapes.

Kids are all weird and wonderful they mostly all get there.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Mon 02-Jan-17 21:06:14

You need to concentrate more on the practical things, the things he will need to do himself because you're not there. So, can he get his coat on and off? Shoes on and off? Trousers up and down, let a teacher know that he needs the toilet etc? Can he share, take turns, ask for a drink etc, all those things are more important than counting or colours.

QuandryQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 21:06:39

No I can't imagine the preschool will mind much either way but I'd hate for him to be unintelligible if there's no medical need

I'll relax a little and maybe just play a few more games with him.

He has an amazing imagination and sense of humor. But he can't describe what he is doing or thinking in any way yet.

dontpokethebear Mon 02-Jan-17 21:11:26

Please don't worry! He sounds exactly as my ds2 was at that age.
Just let him go at his own pace and don't compare him to anyone else!

We toilet trained over the summer, and he was ready for it then. Plus it's much easier as less clothes and he could run around without a nappy/pants on.

fluffandsnuff Mon 02-Jan-17 21:11:33

Think about all the changes he's made in the last 9 months. Massive right? I'm sure it will be the same again. DS is 2.5, not potty trained (def not ready), showing no left/right hand dominance but speech has come on fantastically in a couple of months. I understand where you're coming from though- worried about sending DS to school at just over 4 (July baby) and how we will cope with that!

QuandryQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 21:14:13

Actually yeah the last 10 months or so he has come a really long way! He wasn't walking 10 months ago and now he can run and jump.

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Jan-17 21:22:12

10 months is nearly half his life again!! He will learn loads in that time. At 2.2 DS couldn't do any of the things you've listed, he could barely speak. By 3 he was potty trained and very chatty. Keep talking to him, take him out, show him stuff - it'll all go in!

As for potty training - much easier if you both want to do it. Let him know it's an option, but don't force it until he says something.

Flingmoo Tue 03-Jan-17 12:10:26

Pre school isn't school. They don't need to be 'ready' for anything. I know a 2 year old who just started pre school about 4 months before his 3rd birthday and he can't talk other than a few basic words like bye bye and oh dear, and isn't potty trained. Pre school will help him become more confident and you may find his speech improves as he will need to learn to express himself clearly to other adults and children!

I think kids just don't seem to advance as quickly with their language skills because they know their parents can already meet their needs perfectly well. Then when they're with other caregivers they have more motivation to start expressing themselves!

babyblabber Tue 03-Jan-17 12:26:31

Oh my god 10 months makes a HUGE difference at that age. You are seriously worrying over nothing. DD2 will be starting Montessori in September when she's 2 years and 7 months. I'll potty train her over the summer but apart from that i won't be doing anything to get her ready, she'll be well able!

Seriously, relax and have fun with him, he'll be fine

minipie Tue 03-Jan-17 14:45:11

10 months is absolutely ages for a 2 year old. It's nearly half his lifetime so far, all over again. He will be fine.

Personally I would hold off the potty training till summer. Too early and it will be a PITA, wait a bit and it will go far far more easily.

albertcampionscat Tue 03-Jan-17 17:02:28

He sounds absolutely fine. Definitely, definitely, definitely not in any need of hot housing.

albertcampionscat Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:44

If you're still anxious google 'ages and stages questionnaire'. Gives you a sense of where kids are more or less expected to be at any stage. From what you've said I'd be amazed if your kid doesn't pass with flying colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now