Talk

Advanced search

First day bk at work tomorrow feeling sad

(15 Posts)
Conlinee Mon 02-Jan-17 19:43:50

Today was my last day on maternity after 11 month off it's my first day back at work tomorrow and I'm filled with dread. I'm absolutely dreading leaving my baby. He's had settling in time with the CM for a month but just a few hours twice a week and now I'm thinking god he's never been without me or his dad for 9.5 hours before! God I hope he's ok. And my work, eugh!..just wish I could be a sahm, but that's never going to happen ha. I'm chewing about the new hectic routine, dashing on a morning, a night. Iv just loved being a mam.

Greycat11 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:13:00

Good luck, hard though it is, it soon becomes the new normal and you will get in to the swing of things.
You said you've enjoyed being a mum, that doesn't stop just because you have to earn a living. There are some perks to going back to work, like being able to finish a cup of tea without being interupted by the baby and it going cold smile.
Hope it goes okay for you.

OfDragonsDeep Mon 02-Jan-17 20:17:26

I could have written your post, except my first day back is next Monday. I feel so guilty leaving him for so long. I wish I could stay and look after him too, but we just can't afford it 😞

Phoenix76 Mon 02-Jan-17 22:59:39

I go back Wednesday and the thought of it has made me very "heavy" and really sad. This is the second time so I thought it would be easier, but it's really not. Mind you, I did get in the swing of it with dd1 and after a few months it was the "norm" so I'm hoping it will be the same this time. Good luck and best wishes to all going back.

FriendofBill Mon 02-Jan-17 23:04:05

Take it a day at a time, a task at a time if you have to.
Try and have a good rest for tonight.

Is there any option for you to go p/t?

Summerdays2014 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:34:40

My first day back is Friday after a year back. I feel the same as you op. Hope today hasn't been too awful for you.

GieryFas Tue 03-Jan-17 14:37:59

I dreaded it both times, but in the end it was quite nice to get a bit of space to be the pre-baby, professional 'me'. But I was working part-time, so I never had that long until a 'home' day, I would have found it harder working full-time. It is nice to come home and find everything just as you left it, though! Much less tidying than when you're at home all day.

OfDragonsDeep Tue 03-Jan-17 18:28:56

How did it go OP?

Summerdays2014 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:55:32

Was it as bad as you thought op? Phoenix how did you get on today? My son is teething and has a cold so is grumpy, tearful and clingy-not the sort of baby I want to leave at nursery for the first time on Friday...

itsmeyouknow Wed 04-Jan-17 20:40:38

I was in the same boat, work wasn't spectacular but I loved being myself again (taking the stairs!, going to loo when I wanted!) it will be fine :-)

Phoenix76 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:17:16

summerdays2014 thank you so much for asking. My legs were actually shaking, I felt sick and was on the verge of being tearful, it was weird! But it actually went ok and my boss was amazing, he put me on light duties and gave me a very warm welcome back. I think it'll take a few months to really settle. It was great to drink warm coffee, wear smart clothes and make up. I'm sure you'll be fine on Friday once you get there, and maybe your lo will be so distracted at nursery you'll be collecting them before they know what's happened!

Summerdays2014 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:15:07

Glad it went well Phoenix!

Phoenix76 Fri 06-Jan-17 23:08:25

Hope you're ok op. Also hoping summerdays got on OK!

Summerdays2014 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:25:29

It was actually not as bad as I feared. Baby was absolutely fine and nursery, no tears at all and work was not toooo bad. Still wish I could stay at home with him, but I guess our new normal won't be too bad. Will see how it goes next week with 3 days at work and nursery. Thanks for everyone's support, hope you're all ok too.

Conlinee Sat 07-Jan-17 20:19:47

Hi, it was actually ok...just ok mind ha, I missed lb soooo much but the CM sent me a few texts during the day to say he was doing great and even sent me photo of him smiling and that got me through the afternoon. I raced home to see him though ha. The new morning routine is hectic you just got to get on with that ha. Yeah I'm doin my 3 days next week too Summerdays2014 so see how we get on. I'm exactly the same just wish I could stay at home with lb. thanks for support too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now