Talk

Advanced search

Two under two - when did it start to become easier?

(17 Posts)
Annarose2014 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:12:33

Just that really. 25 month old and 3 month old. 25 month old has decided to drop his nap and it's sheer Hell. 3 month old is feeding every 2 hrs 24/7.

When does it get easier? We're just trudging through each difficult day at the moment. Need light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

golfmonkey Mon 02-Jan-17 12:32:52

I have 2y and 8 month old....from about when youngest was 5 months (started sitting) I stopped hating every single day, from 7 months started to enjoy a few days, good when you can feed both together, you can drag mealtimes out a bit and the day is better. Think if younger one was a better sleeper I'd have enjoyed things earlier. Now youngest is very mobile it's a bit difficult again but as the youngest gets older so does the older and in my opinion things get better. I've heard that when the youngest is 2 things are much better!! I'm hoping once I start work next month things will be better as I am not a natural stay at home mum.
Honestly had no idea how hard it'd be with 2 compared to one, but when they start enjoying each others company it is the best thing ever. I'm sure it.will be worth it in the long run! Hang in there and get out the house as often as you can xx

NotSoEagerBeaver Mon 02-Jan-17 12:42:43

My two have just turned 2 and 4 (23 month age gap). The first year was very hard work as the eldest was very jealous, and he took a longtime to get over that. life has generally become easier in the last 3-4 months when the eldest has started to include the younger in his games, and the 2yr old is interested in playing with him. They still squabble, but are becoming more like companions and how I imagine sibling should treat each other. The only problem now is that when one wants to help wash up, they both want to help and we all get as wet at the cups and plates! smile

NotSoEagerBeaver Mon 02-Jan-17 12:52:00

I also used to take them both for a walk in the pram every day, even if it was just long enough to get them both asleep for a bit. Sometimes paid for that later with the 2yo though..

GraciousWhatDidIDo Mon 02-Jan-17 12:52:30

This is the easy stage shock

Ok, it does get easier in some ways but there are new challenges and you will look back on these days with rose-tinted spectacles smile

I particularly loved when mine were 1and 2 (14 month age gap), maybe because they were both mobile. Hint: teach them 'superglue' from a young age. When getting them out of or putting them into the car I would call 'superglue' and the one waiting would 'superglue' their hands to the car. Never failed! <slightly smug>

Afreshstartplease Mon 02-Jan-17 13:39:55

I found it hardest when they were 3+4, and 4+5 TBH (16 month gap)

Dementedswan Mon 02-Jan-17 13:48:34

Mine are 6 and 5, also a 16 month age gap. They get worse! Mine are constantly winding each other up or joining forces to wind me up.

Annarose2014 Mon 02-Jan-17 13:51:42

It gets WORSE!?

Oh Christ.

PeaceOfWildThings Mon 02-Jan-17 13:53:52

I am finding it is a bit easier in term time now okder one is at uni.

BigFatBollocks Mon 02-Jan-17 13:54:24

Agree, this is the easiest bit. I've got 16months between my youngest who are now 5&6.

xyzandabc Mon 02-Jan-17 14:04:25

I had 2 under 2, then 3 under 5 (just). Honestly, since the youngest turned 4 we've started to get our life back a bit. They can all dress themselves, make breakfast, play together, follow instructions, no nappies, buggies, baby paraphernalia etc.

The hardest bit though was 2 under 2. The 3 yr gap between 2 and 3 meant 1 was at school and 2 at nursery so I actually had some time with just the baby which I never had with no. 2 as it was always baby plus toddler. It does get easier slowly but that 1st year of 2 under 2 was just a case of survival rather than any actual super effort parenting. Do whatever makes it easiest to get through the day and take one day at a time.
It's worth it in the end as they are all close and when they're not fighting, they're great buddies!

ODog Mon 02-Jan-17 15:24:42

I had a very similar age gap to you (23 months). DD is now almost 8mo so I'm a little further down the road. Things that helped me:

1. Sling is absolutely invaluable. Pop baby in sling and get on with your normal routine with toddler.
2. Playgroups a couple of times a week are great. Toddler gets a run about. Someone will always make you tea and hold your baby. Baby in sling while you supervise toddler. Home for lunch and quiet afternoon.
3. Get outside for an hour everyday. In winter we have sandpit in garden with bucket/spade and diggers/dumper trucks. Park. Walk with baby in pram or sling. Toddler with a bucket to 'collect' stuff.
4. Story books/sticker books/snacks/CBeebies to hand when feeding baby.

Hope this helps

FannyCradock Mon 02-Jan-17 15:26:29

When they leave home smile

FizzBombBathTime Mon 02-Jan-17 15:30:33

My son just turned 1 and I had my second son 2 weeks ago. I'm fucking overwhelmed

DialMforMummy Mon 02-Jan-17 15:47:34

The first year is pretty blurry... but it become easier after that because my boys started to play together. Now, aged 4 and 6 (18 months between them), it's great because they are very good play mates. At the beginning it was very tough but I survived because of DS1 going to nursery where he got the stimulation he craved while DS2 just wanted to be on me...
it's tough but in my case, the toughness did not last. Good luck!

Chattycat78 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:02:54

Hearing this too. I have an almost 2 year old and a 7 month old (17 month gap). I dreaded it when i had them both alone to begin with- still do to some extent. However I've managed to find things to help me muddle through- such as:

- sling for baby
- toddler groups - with the baby in the sling
- CBeebies especially when baby needs feeding!
- meals being sorted in advance- cooking with the 2 of them in tow is impossible.
- generally lowering my expectations!

I found it got a tiny bit better at around 4 months when the baby got into a proper evening/bedtime routine, so we at least have a few child- free hours each day.

However overall u have my sympathy! I really hope this isn't the "easy" bit- it bloody doesn't feel like it!

Chattycat78 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:04:24

Oh and ps- my toddler goes to nursery 2 days a week- it has been a godsend for everyone. It also breaks the week up into more manageable chunks and he loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now