Talk

Advanced search

DS and his willie

(8 Posts)
Jaysis Fri 30-Dec-16 21:11:54

DS is 4. In the bath just now he said to his dad "when your willie goes up it means you love someone."

When dad asked who told him that, he said that I did, obviously I never did, but then when I tried to gently ask him he repeated it and then said "do you know the kind of girl I love? Mommy"

I think its something that he may have picked up in nursery. He's far too young for the birds 'n bees talk. I grew up in a religious household where innocent questions were brushed aside or you inadvertently got into trouble for saying something 'dirty'. I don't want that for DS - I'd like to be matter of fact in an age appropriate manner, and so far have dealt with his curiosity towards my body or his daddy's like that.

But this one has stumped me. How do I explain that loving with willies and loving mummies is two different things to a 4 yo that is as sharp as a tack?

Haggisfish Fri 30-Dec-16 21:14:05

I don't think I'd try to at the moment. My ds, also 4, got a little stiffy the other day and grabbed my hand to put on it! I think it all just feels nice at that age. Obviously I removed my hand and told ds not to do that again, but I didn't go into any detail more than that.

Amandahugandkisses Fri 30-Dec-16 21:18:35

Hmm I think I would respond with the willie love is not for mummy it's a different kind of love you'll understand when you get older. And leave it at that. I may be way off the mark here as I've never had to deal with it!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:18:42

My friend was sitting on the sofa watching a film with her 6 year old. 6 year old was idly fiddling with his willy. 6 year old said "mum, my hands getting tired can you take over" grinshock

Don't over think it. Boys are a bit obsessed with that bit of anatomy

Jaysis Fri 30-Dec-16 21:24:33

Haggisfish, thanks for the reply. It seems to be curiosity plus an awareness of his body, and as you say, certain things feel nice and he's figuring stuff out. I have tentatively discussed privacy and the pants rule with him.

Jaysis Fri 30-Dec-16 21:26:42

Amanda, that's a good way of explaining it, I think I'll use that one.

Through, that's hilarious grin Thankfully DS is not obsessed yet with his willie. That said, he's only a couple of years out of nappies so give him time I suppose!

OopsDearyMe Fri 30-Dec-16 21:27:28

Just say that darling when your Penis goes up its because its got a bit more blood in it. It doesn't mean you love someone. I would not promote equating erections with love.

Jaysis Sun 01-Jan-17 21:13:40

Oops, I like your way of explaining a lot. He's not asked or mentioned it since but I like sticking to factual science-based statements where I can, so I can see myself doing correcting him this way. You are right - its not about love and to me that would make it all the more confusing for him if it's linked to that emotion at this early age.

Thank you so much for all your help, posters! Very much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now