Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teaching kids to tidy up (when you're a messy person!)

(6 Posts)
Hermagsjesty Fri 30-Dec-16 19:04:49

Me and my DH are both very messy. We try to keep on top of it but we're both the kind of people who just don't seem to see the clutter piling up. We have a cleaner once a week so the house isn't filthy - just chaotic. But we have a 5yo and a 3yo and we're increasingly concerned about passing on our bad habits. I'm guessing role modelling is key! Any top tips on keeping tidy and modelling tidying up after yourself when it doesn't come naturally?!

LiveLifeWithPassion Fri 30-Dec-16 19:12:30

I'm quite messy myself but I've got a 'tidy up at the end of the day' rule which helps us all to keep on top of it.
The kids know where to put their dirty clothes. I also make sure the kids wardrobe and drawers are organised so they know where to put their clean laundry.
They also help with cleaning chores.
I tell them that we all need to work as a team to make sure we live in a clean and tidy house.

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 30-Dec-16 19:26:48

The old saying 'a place for everything and everything in its place' is the key to keeping tidy. Storage for toys is a must, then your children will know where to put things away. Try and teach them to put back as they go, I know this isn't always easy though. Once a week (ish) I make them help out with a 'team tidy' where we all pick up all the crap important things lying around and put them away properly. Usually this is at the weekend when we have a bit more time and energy.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 31-Dec-16 16:53:31

Can I place mark. Would love to know the answer too!

Chottie Sat 31-Dec-16 16:55:21

At the end of the day, have 'tidy up time' and put all the toys away together. Make it fun, I sing as we do it.

Hermagsjesty Thu 05-Jan-17 21:25:03

Thanks for your tips! DH and I did a big declutter and so at least now everything has a place... and we've initiated a daily tidy up after tea with the kids, fingers crossed the good habits stick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now