Talk

Advanced search

Move from full fat to semi skimmed milk?

(20 Posts)
bluechameleon Thu 29-Dec-16 09:43:45

My DS is 2.3 and has 200-400ml of milk a day. I know that once they are 2 you can switch to semi skimmed but I'm not sure if I should. He hasnt been weighed since his 13m check but he seems a normal build so I'm not worried about his weight. When did you make the switch?

treaclesoda Thu 29-Dec-16 09:45:24

My youngest is 5 and we never made the switch back. Full fat milk tastes so much nicer and there still isn't all that much fat in it anyway. So we just stuck with it. smile

monkeywithacowface Thu 29-Dec-16 09:47:12

I'm 40 and never made the switch. My kids are 12 and 9 and also drink full fat

m0therofdragons Thu 29-Dec-16 09:48:01

We mix it up so in term time my 8yo often has full fat as she's underweight. Not unhealthy but small appetite. I switched to semi at 2 as hv was obsessed with obesity. Wish I'd stuck to full fat for longer.

Motherwithflaws Thu 29-Dec-16 09:52:17

Nothing wrong with full fat. Mine drink it at 5 and 12.

ArgyMargy Thu 29-Dec-16 09:52:17

Semi skimmed wasn't invented until I was in my teens. We were given a huge amount of full fat milk all through childhood (hence I hate it now). I am what people would call slim (ie normal weight) and pretty healthy for my age. With my DC I think I switched over once they got to school but they much prefer full fat now (in their 20s).

eyebrowsonfleek Thu 29-Dec-16 09:53:01

I mainly switched as I drink semi skimmed and anything that allows me to be lazy is in a win wink

Absolutely fine to keep him on full fat forever if you want.

Threesoundslikealot Thu 29-Dec-16 09:54:03

We all drink full fat here. Less sugar in it (by a small measure) and more fat (by a small measure), and tastes nicer.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Thu 29-Dec-16 10:25:28

Fill fat in my house smile

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Thu 29-Dec-16 10:25:57

full!

PoorAndRich Thu 29-Dec-16 10:37:08

Full fat still here.
Eldest is ten. Youngest 4.

No need to change. Young dc (under 5) need fats. Semi is horrible in coffee

dementedpixie Thu 29-Dec-16 10:42:30

We switched at age 2 as I used semi skimmed already.

Highlove Thu 29-Dec-16 19:04:05

We use full fat here. DD1 is nearly three, DD2,only has BM which I'm pretty sure us ff!. I always have semi in because I think ff is gross in tea which I drink gallons of but I use ff for everything else for me. Unless you've got a particular concern about his weight, I'd stick with ff. And even if you are concerned about weight, tbh I'd stick with it anyway.

Then again, I'm thoroughly opposed to reduced fat anything - both for adults and DCs. Eat a bit less of something that is more satisfying, tastes nicer and hasn't been altered with all sorts of other crap. (Though I'm not suggesting milk is, but lots of other products are.) <gets off soapbox>

Highlove Thu 29-Dec-16 19:04:43

Sorry loads of typos, on phone and feeding baby.

Frusso Thu 29-Dec-16 19:08:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oldlaundbooth Thu 29-Dec-16 19:09:45

Keep him on ff as long as possible.

Earslaps Thu 29-Dec-16 19:20:43

A lot of studies now suggest sticking with full fat milk, at 4% fat it can still be classed as low fat anyway. Such as this one.

My DS is underweight and has full fat milk with extra milk powder added for more protein. Plus we add butter and cream wherever we can for him. Doesn't seem to make him put on any weight though!

TeaBelle Thu 29-Dec-16 19:23:09

We switched at 18 months (against guidelines I know)

AfroPuffs Thu 29-Dec-16 19:24:28

Full fat is much healthier.

Yesitsmeagain Thu 29-Dec-16 19:29:37

I changed my DCs to semi once youngest was 2 then changed back when I realised how silly it was. Full fat milk isn't really very high in fat. And as I understand it whole milk is much more nutritious than semi.

I go out of my way to buy the DCs this milk... it really is super delicious. It's still homogenised so you don't get the bits of cream floating around, but it tastes like 'proper' milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now