Talk

Advanced search

Is there a boob holding up gadget?

(21 Posts)
Blue2014 Wed 28-Dec-16 19:55:12

Breast feeding with big boobs, they smoother DS if I don't hold them with both hands- is there a gadget to help me have a spare hand to mumsnet multi task with?

Hawkmoth Wed 28-Dec-16 19:56:02

Rolled up tea towel wedged underneath?

MrsBellefleur Wed 28-Dec-16 19:57:42

Sorry I immediately thought "that's what a bras for" when I saw your title! For me 40JJ boobs whilst breastfeeding, the only way I could do it and have a hand free was with a V pillow so baby cradled in the pillow and proooed up, boob held in one hand, phone/kindle/to remote in the other. Not good while out and about but perfect for home feeding.

MrsBellefleur Wed 28-Dec-16 19:58:11

That should be baby propped up!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 28-Dec-16 19:58:47

Rolled up towel or muslin

confusedandemployed Wed 28-Dec-16 19:59:15

I used a rolled up hand towel, back in the dim and distant past when DD was under 4 weeks old.

MargaretCabbage Wed 28-Dec-16 20:01:31

I recently found one online when looking at nursing pillows, I just googled again and it's called the Wellmom Breast Pillow. I haven't tried one and most links seem to be American but it looks handy!

Frouby Wed 28-Dec-16 20:04:44

V shaped pillow for the baby and your boob. I have enourmous boobs and could wedge ds on one of those and happily eat a full meal over his head!

Also look at the different holds that you can use. You dont have to stick to the standard one.

Blue2014 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:12:35

Thanks - you are all brilliant. I will attempt with rolled up towel and a v pillow and see how I get on. He's only 3 weeks so I guess I partly just need to practice different positions

idlevice Wed 28-Dec-16 20:43:38

There's a thing called the Booby Booster breastfeeding sling, which is an Australian product that was on their equivalent of Dragon's Den. It's a sling for your boob that attaches to your bra. Rather odd-looking!

I have tried it and the mini foam under-boob pillow, also rolled up towel under boob, as I developed de Quervain's syndrome (a form of tendonitis) from all the wrangling when feeding DS1 and wanted to avoid it with DS2. In the end I decided anything additional was too much faff & just got on with it, especially as once the baby's neck is stronger positioning gets easier.

AlbusPercival Wed 28-Dec-16 20:46:36

Long muslin rolled up.

Hook under boob and tie round neck, like a one boob halter neck.

Odd look, but it works

Blue2014 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:49:27

Tying it round my neck! Genius - I will try that

AlbusPercival Wed 28-Dec-16 20:51:17

Take my advice though, take it off before answering door. Amazon driver very confused

Scentofwater Wed 28-Dec-16 20:58:15

The additional advantage of a boobcloth (aka rolled up tea towel) is it doubles as easy burping cloth too. just don't whip it out until you're sure they've finished or you'll be forever rerolling it.

NotCitrus Wed 28-Dec-16 21:05:33

My Breast Friend. Basically a shelf to hold the baby in place so you can use one hand to hold the breast in place. Also look up Kellymom webpage on feeding with big breasts. Between the two I figured it out.

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Wed 28-Dec-16 21:08:17

I love mumsnet, you can you get a guide to dig boob slings and no one bats an eyelid fgrin

Ohdearducks Wed 28-Dec-16 21:10:47

I'm you glad you asked this! I've been getting finger mark bruises on my boobs from trying to hold them away from DD's nose during feeds.

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Wed 28-Dec-16 21:16:49

Diy not dig

Temporaryname137 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:37:34

Nope! My stupid outsized boobs made me miserable when I was feeding Dd - friends with small perky boobs just popped them on there under blankets. Impossible for me to hold DD, keep the boob off her nose, put the blanket in place and cover up everything. Plus you can't hold a book or anything because you need both hands!

Temporaryname137 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:38:46

Sorry pressed send too soon - basically it will get better as the baby gets bigger and can hold its head up more. DD now grabs my boob with both hands and shoves it around to suit herself!

FormerlyFrikadela01 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:46:48

Will keep all these in mind next time I have a baby. Only time I felt failed by my midwife was when she kept suggesting all these positions to make feeding easier and completely ignored my concerns that I had to hold my boob in position to feed and it was hard. The biggest indignity was DP having to feed me my tea because DS was on a mammoth feeding session and I needed both hands to keep him in position. Probably one of the reasons I didn't persevere with it when it got too hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now