Talk

Advanced search

Vaccinations at 8 weeks -what to expect

(19 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:38:02

My baby has her eight week vaccinations next week and I wanted to ask what to expect in regards to how unwell she might be, how long for and how to treat it? I bought some calpol as advised by GP letter but it says she can only take two doses.

BellaGoth Mon 26-Dec-16 16:46:15

My dd was really quite poorly after the 8 week jabs. I made a crucial error in not giving her the second dose of calpol on time. She'd been really unsettled and had finally gone to sleep about 15 minutes before the dose was due, so I decided to let her have half an hour more sleep. HUGE mistake! I should have woken her.

She was fine by bedtime though. She was born 3 weeks early so a little bit small, I wonder if that made it a bit worse.

Fwiw the 12 and 16 week jabs didn't effect her at all.

TheMasterNotMargarita Mon 26-Dec-16 16:50:02

I got given paracetamol by our pharmacist and they worked out the dose.
We just had the 16 week jabs (which were the same ones as 8 weeks)and we could give it for up to 48 hours after if still unsettled.
He was a little warm even with the paracetamol but no ill effects after 8 week jabs. Needed a bit more cuddling the day after is all.

Doje Mon 26-Dec-16 16:52:21

DS2 was poorly after the 8 and 16 week ones, but 8 wks was the worst.

Nothing crazy bad, but he was up with a helluva fever in the middle of the night. I had him stripped off down to his nappy in the middle of December! Calpol bought his temp down though, and it was only a 24 hr thing.

Craftycakey15 Mon 26-Dec-16 17:39:34

I'm glad your babies were ok within a day. My baby is on her fourth day of a cold and I was wondering if it will make her more likely to feel ill for longer having just recovered (hopefully) from her cold.

She also has silent reflux and I hope none of this makes her worse.

themaster what do you mean work out the dose? Do you recommend I go to the pharmacy after our vaccination to ask how much carpool to give? I thought it was just a maximum of two doses?

Hawkmoth Mon 26-Dec-16 17:46:39

Since adding in the menB jab the guidance has changed and three doses are allowed. See this link.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/menb-vaccine-and-paracetamol

welshweasel Mon 26-Dec-16 17:52:40

My DS didn't turn a hair at his 8 or 12 week jabs. Gave the calpol as advised but no fever. He struggled a bit after the 16 week ones as he had a bad local reaction to it. None of my friends with similar aged babies had any issues either so you may well be ok!

Sandsnake Mon 26-Dec-16 17:56:25

DS was pretty grotty after his for almost exactly 24 hours. Main tip is to GIVE THE CALPOL! It really helps them.

octoberfarm Mon 26-Dec-16 21:07:24

I'd also second calpol! Our LO was fine immediately after, but drifted off to sleep and I made the mistake of waking him and from then on we had a LOT of tears. I think like five hours worth.

We now have a bit of a post-jabs routine which has really helped: come home, have calpol, get a warm/almost hot bath with a quick (gentle) massage of where he got the jabs, cuddle and milk, and then the rest of the day spent quietly at home. All the jabs we've had since have been much less eventful! Good luck smile

Craftycakey15 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:18:17

octoberfarm thank you so much for sharing your routine. When you made the mistake of waking him why did you wake him? Because it was the due time for a feed? Just want to avoid screwing things up. She is currently sick and all over the place cos of her cold.!

octoberfarm Mon 26-Dec-16 21:24:14

I'm slightly embarassed to say it was because I'd been sitting underneath him for over two hours and really fancied a slice of chocolate cake! blush It was so far from worthy it I can't even tell you! Since then I've either settled in somewhere comfy with the knowledge I'm in it for the long haul (cake and water nearby), or laid him in his crib so he hasn't got to be moved. Then if he does wake up and it's time, I pop the next dose of calpol in him and wait it out until he nods off again smile Hope your LO feels better soon!

octoberfarm Mon 26-Dec-16 21:24:52

*worth it

sometimesKit Mon 26-Dec-16 21:29:59

I've got three children. Never given them calpol before/after vaccinations, they've never had any issues.

MoreBushThanMoss Mon 26-Dec-16 21:35:23

If your baby has a cold/ cough/ even slight fever, i believe advice is to postpone vaccinations until they recover- do check this with your GP or nurse

Doje Mon 26-Dec-16 21:35:34

They advise it though now, the Calpol since they introduced the Men B. In fact, the nurse asked me at the injections if I'd given him some and when I said I hadn't she gave me some there and then.

albertcampionscat Mon 26-Dec-16 21:56:09

Both mine sailed through.

sometimesKit Mon 26-Dec-16 22:26:38

My youngest was born just before they introduced the Men B so maybe that's it.

TheMasterNotMargarita Tue 27-Dec-16 12:11:54

Because most over the counter stuff is from 3+ months I think so I got paracetamol 120mg/5ml. I think it was 1.25ml per dose at 8 weeks but 2.5ml at 16 weeks. Just ask them you can take it along to the appointment and give it right before.

Craftycakey15 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:32:09

I will call and find out if she has jabs if she still has cold. We have another week so should be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now