Talk

Advanced search

Cannot remember what to do re milk/food at 13mths

(13 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Mon 26-Dec-16 09:44:46

This is dc3 so you'd think we'd know by now! She's 13 mths and still having 3 7pz bottles a day, morning noon and night. She's been poorly recently and hardly eating so has started demanding milk at night too as obviously hungry. She's better now but still not eating much food. And still waking at night for milk. I think we should drop her morning bottle at least to try and get her to have more lunch and breakfast. Is that the right thing to do? I'm sure other two self led dropping their bottles so Is it too early?

DomesticAnarchist Mon 26-Dec-16 09:55:33

🕵🏼‍♀️ er, placemarking, as had the same thought re: 9mo DC2...

twolittleboysonetiredmum Mon 26-Dec-16 09:56:25

Glad it's not just me...I've just fed her weetabix instead of her normal bottle. She's not impressed

WheresTheEvidence Mon 26-Dec-16 10:04:40

Im a nanny. At 13 months "my" children no longer have bottles - I get rid before they turn 1. however they do have milk so:
Breakfast - wheetabix/porridge etc plus small cup of milk
Snack - breads tick / toast or fruit and a small cup of milk
Lunch -
Dimmer
Supper - toast and a beaker of milk after bathtime

Cup = small trommee tippee size (open spout.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Mon 26-Dec-16 10:09:10

Do they actually drink much milk from beakers? With my other 2 we did keep a nighttime bottle going for way longer than recommended and I don't mind that. But I would like rid of the other 2. I tried to give her milk in a tippee cup a few times and she'd have one or two sips then leave it.

OhHolyJesus Mon 26-Dec-16 10:13:43

Place marking also grin

PonyPals Mon 26-Dec-16 11:47:17

Place marking too!

twolittleboysonetiredmum Mon 26-Dec-16 15:22:16

Well she ate loads more lunch today for not having morning bottle. Tho equally it was a lunch she loves so maybe not very scientific.

Caterina99 Mon 26-Dec-16 15:37:35

For DS (now 18 months) I swapped the middle of day bottle for a cup of cows milk first. Then a week or so later got rid of the morning bottle and gave cup of milk with breakfast. The bedtime bottle we kept for a while but swapped it to cows milk. Added in morning and afternoon snacks to make up for lack of milk.

He will drink a fair bit of milk from a cup, but maybe 3oz per serving on average, not gulping down an 8oz bottle as he was doing

Caterina99 Mon 26-Dec-16 15:42:09

Oh and part of the reason we kept the bedtime bottle til 16 months was that at least I knew he getting 6oz of milk (and he made a huge fuss about it at 12m. At 16m he didn't seem bothered) When we first moved to milk from cups he only took a few sips. Tried to make up for it with milky foods and yoghurt and cheese etc. Now he drinks it just fine from a cup.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Mon 26-Dec-16 17:30:59

How old was your DS when you dropped his bottles? That's the reason we've always kept the bedtime bottle - it keeps their dairy intake up regardless of their day and always helped ours sleep better. Only ever dropped it when they potty trained. The other two definitely self led dropping bottles which is why I'm a bit awkward about dropping them for dc3

Caterina99 Tue 27-Dec-16 00:58:47

He was around 12/13 months for the daytime and 16 months for bedtime. DS is a good eater though and loves cheese and yoghurt and milky weetabix so I was less worried about his dairy consumption. He did drink more from the cup once he got used to it. Nice to not have the faff of making up formula and cleaning bottles. The afternoon one I just swopped straight for a cup but the morning one I slowly reduced the amount and then offered the cup with breakfast afterwards until eventually he just had 2oz in bottle and rest in cup and then took it away (prob took a week).

kelj2 Sat 31-Dec-16 10:09:18

My 13 month old has 3 bottles ( when she wakes up, midday and before bed at night) and then she has 3 meals (breakfast lunch and dinner) I normally leave an hour to an hour and a half between bottle and breakfast/lunch. Breakfast is our worst meal and she normally won't eat much of it but she's still gaining heaps of weight so we aren't worried

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now