Talk

Advanced search

OMG my 16mo has discovered the joy of walking, will she ever sit still again?

(15 Posts)
novadandypowder Mon 19-Feb-07 20:01:24

Took my dd to meet a friend in an open plan coffee shop in a shopping centre today and I seemed to spend the whole time chasing after her. I took books for her to 'read', food, water and her comforters but nothing seemed to beat running off every 5 mins.

How can I get her to be one of those really well behaved children that doesn't wail like a banshee when you strap her into a buggy/high chair to stop her wandering off? I feel like I've become one of those mums that people look at and comment on as if I can't keep control of my own child. She's only been walking since christmas and now loves it.

Muminfife Mon 19-Feb-07 20:23:17

Message withdrawn

DontlookatmeImshy Mon 19-Feb-07 20:32:01

lol I could've written your post myself. Ds (also 16 months) also discovered walking just before Christmas, and now there's no stoppping him. He walk all the way home from church last sunday. It's only about 1/4 mile but it's a long way for little legs. Add in all the stopping to examime every bush, lamppost, brickwall, streetsign etc you get the idea , it took us over half an hour to get home, but he enjoyed it and slept for ages when we got home, which was nice for me and dh. Trying to keephim stillin the service though is another matter though. Fortunately I thinkthe only people who were bothered by it were me and dh.

colditz Mon 19-Feb-07 20:35:30

No. No she won't.

And 'those mums' who get looked at - well, they would be all mums.

lizziemun Mon 19-Feb-07 21:31:20

No she won't, your lucky DD discovered this at 10 months.

I bought reines (sp) which she had either wear or go in her buggy, she soon learnt what was expected from her and now aged 3yrs she will walk holding my hand or buggy and doesn't run off like her friends.

novadandypowder Mon 19-Feb-07 22:30:09

I've got some reins but when I try to put them on her she totally freaks out. I leave them out at home for her to look at, and try to put them on her everyday in the hope that she'll get used to them, but it's not working so far. I literally had to hold her in the buggy with my knee today just to try and get the arm straps over her.

I don't mind it when we're walking from A-B, it's just trying to get her to behave when we're in cafes/other peoples houses etc.

colditz Tue 20-Feb-07 00:09:00

If you always put the reins on before you let her out of the pushchair, she will associate the reins with walking, which is fun!

lizziemun Tue 20-Feb-07 09:08:07

As colditz say's i used to put her coat on then reines and then i would put her in buggy. Then we would go to the local park she would sit in her buggy there then i would get her out so to walk, run investigate every blade of grass. They soon learn that reins are fun.

Biglips Tue 20-Feb-07 09:09:49

nova - you need to grow some eyes on the back of your head as before u know it..she'll be running off!!

frances5 Tue 20-Feb-07 12:39:29

It gets better. I am sure that your child isnt that badly behaved, after all she is a baby and babies were made to explore everything.

There are different types of reins or she might prefer a wriststrap. I saw reins which attached to a backpack that looked good. You have to experiment. Eventually she will learn that if she behaves herself then she wont need the reins.

When a child is badly behaved it often feels worst to the mother than to other people.

Pavlovthecat Tue 20-Feb-07 12:41:12

My LO is 7.5 months, and took her first step a few days ago...admittedly it was with the aid of her winnie the pooh train, but she does not keep still already...God knows what she will be like when she is 15 months then!

CorrieDale Tue 20-Feb-07 12:50:30

No, she won't.

Have to say, I think it's absolutely brilliant that DS never sits down except to eat or have his nap (OK, so it's also a bit inconvenient if I want a nice coffee and he wants to explore the cafe) because this means that he Sleeps Through The Night. Frankly, the lack of being able to enjoy a nice sit down during the day is more than made up for by the fact that he crashes out at 7pm and gets up at 7am, rather than being up for 2 hours at a time, which is how he was when he had all that excess energy to burn, without being able to walk it off! (And I say this now when I'm 5 months pregnant with the prospect of being 4 months fatter by June, while he's 4 months faster!)

frances5 Tue 20-Feb-07 13:18:02

You go for a coffee at one of these soft play areas. You child can then run about like loonie and is safe. Prehaps 15 months or 7.5 is a little young, but it depends on the soft play area.

astronomer Tue 20-Feb-07 13:27:13

Once your 16mo hits 13yrs you will get nothing but sitting apart from when they are lying down

dueat44 Tue 20-Feb-07 20:07:53

... not till she discovers the joys of telly ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now