Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I treat a cold with a newborn...?

(15 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Sat 24-Dec-16 20:53:38

My baby is seven weeks old and has had a snotty nose the past couple of days, today she has been heavy breathing and sounds congested. We have her crib raised, saw the dr when she was fast asleep and he just said she seemed fine as her chest was clear.

We tried the Nose Frida aspirator in her earlier but nothing came up, I don't know if she was just clear or I didn't do it properly? She is feeding quicker and less which I read online is normal.

Can anyone recommend any thing else and tell me how long we should expect it to last?

girlelephant Sat 24-Dec-16 20:58:52

I think all you can do is raise the cot, keep upright as much as possible and try lots of steam by taking the baby into the bathroom when you are having showers.

My DS has had a cold for the last week but he's 3 months. The Dr gave me a prescription for nasal drops, he hates them and gets very distressed. From memory it's just saltwater in them. I also bought him today a plug in Vicks which seems good so far but says 3 months plus. I've also bought him Snuffle Baby rub which is like Vicks vapour Rub but again says 3 months on it.

HTHs and your little one feels better soon

Astro55 Sat 24-Dec-16 21:00:09

Try Olba Oil - place in boiling water to steam their room before bed

AppleMagic Sat 24-Dec-16 21:00:44

Use saline spray before you use the sucker to make it more effective.

Artandco Sat 24-Dec-16 21:05:32

Close all doors and windows in bathroom, turn hot tap on bath and/ or shower. Sit in bathroom on closed toilet seat with towel on if you prefer whilst you feed baby. The steam created in the small bathroom will help clear babies nose and throat. Do for the length of a feed (15 ish minutes). Repeat a few times a day.

Passmethecrisps Sat 24-Dec-16 21:09:30

I had a snot sucker that you sucked with your mouth - extremely effective. You won't be able to get one tomorrow but worth having. I second using it after the saline spray even if baby gets distressed as the impact will be far better.

Take baby in when you have a long steamy shower (sit him in a bouncy chair or something)

I used snuffle babes on the chest, back and on the soles of feet (absolutely no idea why but someone told me)

I hope baby feels better soon. Miserable for them when they are so wee

TooMinty Sat 24-Dec-16 21:12:28

Put Snufflebabe on a tissue and tuck it into the cot. I think I should have bought shares in Snufflebabe!

Craftycakey15 Sat 24-Dec-16 21:26:48

I only have the snuffle babe nasal spray today . O ordered the carpol Vapour rub but it says from three months plus.

TooMinty Sat 24-Dec-16 22:47:00

Yes, 3 months plus to put it on the baby but you can put it on a tissue nearby and put some on your neck so the wee one inhales it whilst feeding - hope the cold clears up soon.

smallchair Sat 24-Dec-16 22:56:16

I find sterimar spray works much better than saline drops

Squaffle Mon 26-Dec-16 15:14:01

Drops of Children's Olbas Oil on a muslin tied to the cot works really well for us, along with saline nasal spray 5 mins before a feed and before sleeps. Snufflebabe is great too. If your baby likes bathtime the steam is beneficial and you can also get Johnson's menthol bubble bath which might help; haven't tried it yet though.

Craftycakey15 Mon 26-Dec-16 18:11:00

I put some olbas oil on a tissue in her crib and we have held her in the shower room for 15 minutes twice a day. I ordered a humidifier to come tomorrow from Amazon. This has been going on since Friday night. Hope she gets better soon as we have 8 week jabs to deal with next week.

Craftycakey15 Mon 26-Dec-16 18:11:33

Oh I didn't know there was a children's olbas oil? Is the adult one ok ??

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Fri 30-Dec-16 18:27:24

Calpol vapour plug in works wonders for my DD

girlelephant Sun 01-Jan-17 20:59:55

As long as you followed the instructions it's ok to use the adult plans oil on babies. From memory it's one drop on a tissue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now