?
On what?

Jay2188 Sat 24-Dec-16 08:24:40

On this site

HardcoreLadyType Sat 24-Dec-16 08:29:41

Why is your thread title "Equality"?

What is this even about?

Jay2188 Sat 24-Dec-16 09:13:13

I could not think of a title for it since you have to put one I did... it does not matter if you don't understand the question move on

TheGruffaloMother Sat 24-Dec-16 09:15:57

Quite a few. Not sure of the actual numbers but fathers are certainly far more common than hen's teeth.

Why?

Jay2188 Sat 24-Dec-16 09:33:59

Just wondered as I'm new as you probably guessed I'm male, just read through some of the posts and it seemed to be a lot of mums slash females hence the name Mumsnet, also in the account settings it assumed I was female I had to change it to male.

StewieGMum Sat 24-Dec-16 09:35:14

Yeah, it must really suck havingvto change the default setting for sex on here. Because women never have to do that. hmm

Jay2188 Sat 24-Dec-16 10:43:10

I like the way it assumes we are all female

Jay2188 Sat 24-Dec-16 10:43:24

smile

SpeakNoWords Sat 24-Dec-16 10:57:34

"Equality" makes it seem like you're questioning the equality of this site. Just wondering why it matters to you what the sex of the person talking to you is?

ThinkPinkStink Sat 24-Dec-16 10:59:46

I think with a site named 'mums'net it's a sensible presumption that a significant proportion of members would be mums, or women who hope to be mums.

That having been said, I've found Mumsnet to be very open and there are a number of regular, well respected male/father posters (ditto women who don't have and don't want children). It just so happens that women are proportionally more likely to be the primary carer for a child and to therefore derive benefit from the MN community.

What raises people's defences is someone making a big deal about their demographic information... e.g.

'As a man....'
'As a mother...'

Etc.

This thread is pretty banal. There are more interesting things to discuss than how any specific poster feels about their role on the site based on their genitals.

TheGruffaloMother Sat 24-Dec-16 11:00:19

Well, it's mumsnet. Having the settings defaulted to male would be a bit of a kick in the face.

It's worth keeping in mind while you're acquainting yourself with the place that the majority of male users won't feel the need to highlight their masculinity somehow in their user name. They float among the rest of us getting equal audience and mention their sex when they feel the conversation calls for it smile

TheMortificadosDragon Sat 24-Dec-16 11:07:41

While the site name is MumsNet, it's motto is 'By parents, for parents', and the reality is that anyone who wants to make a contribution here and abides by the Talk Guidelines is welcome.

There's a Dadsnet topic if you do ever feel in need of a blokes corner - afaik not many feel much need for it.

Welcome to MumsNet.

Jay2188 Sun 25-Dec-16 10:19:14

That comment coming from "the gruffalo mother" I'm not mentioning any sort of masculinity look at your name it says it all 😎

ErrolTheDragon Sun 25-Dec-16 23:54:32

Sometimes all you can deduce from a username is their taste in fiction.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now