Talk

Advanced search

Not sure I handled this correctly...

(13 Posts)
WeedlesHatOfDisappointment Thu 22-Dec-16 19:39:57

I took ds1 (4years) and ds2 to a christmas party. It was one run by a local playgroup, so you had to sign up for it, and get your name on the list.
Ds1 was very excited to be going. When we arrived, we got given a raffle ticket, that you matched up to the pre determined prize. Our raffle ticket won a colouring book. Ds1 then saw someone win a car track set.
Ds1 then went into a bad mood, and didn't want to participate in anything. I tried to jolly him along, and involve him with playing with myself and ds2.
He was still sulking and kept saying he wanted to go. Now this is where I'm not sure I went wrong . I said to ds that we weren't leaving, just because he didn't get his own way, and he could either join in or just sit there being miserable, but ds2 and I were going to have fun even if he wasn't. I also explained that if we left, it would mean that someone else could have come to the party, but couldn't as we'd taken their space.
Did I over react? He is only 4, but I don't want him thinking he can stop doing something because he didn't win something, or he doesn't get his own way. If I did over react, what could I have done differently.
Parenting is hard!

WeedlesHatOfDisappointment Thu 22-Dec-16 19:41:19

Sorry, should have added, he took the option of sitting there miserably!

MrsDc7 Thu 22-Dec-16 19:42:54

No you didn't over react. I've got a four year old son and I would have handled it in the same way

DulliDulli Thu 22-Dec-16 19:43:07

I would have done exactly the same.

SerialReJoiner Thu 22-Dec-16 19:43:57

Sounds good to me.

WeedlesHatOfDisappointment Thu 22-Dec-16 20:28:59

Phew thanks! Was doubting myself he was too young to learn this type of lesson grin

Namejustfornappies Thu 22-Dec-16 20:32:19

I've done exactly the same thing smile

MrsDc7 Thu 22-Dec-16 21:23:36

Definitely not too young. If you leave it any later to teach him lessons like this, you'll make a rod for your own back. It's hard to be like that sometimes but it's for their own benefit smile

ICJump Thu 22-Dec-16 21:26:04

I think you handled it well.

Della1 Thu 22-Dec-16 22:31:39

I did similar today when dt1 aged 4 wanted to leave the swimming pool. He sat on the edge then decided to join in.

ElleDubloo Fri 23-Dec-16 12:09:30

I have a 2.5 year old and probably would have done the same with her. So you were definitely not too harsh smile

ridinghighinapril Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:00

I do this with my 3 year old all the time in all sorts of scenarios - they are old enough to understand once their options and consequences are explained to them.

WeedlesHatOfDisappointment Fri 23-Dec-16 13:45:30

Thank you all again for the validation. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now