Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding - change in routine

(11 Posts)
user1482402248 Thu 22-Dec-16 10:33:29

Hi there, could do with some advice please.

My 10 week old baby dropped his 2.30/3am feed over a week ago, by himself. Well he dropped it for 5 days and slept all the way through. For the last three nights he has awoken at 2am and 4am. He isn't crying but is grizzily until 6am.

Do you think I should feed him when he wakes at 3 as it may make him sleep instead of being awake for hours! I hesitate because he isn't crying crying just whimpering a bit and thrashes around.

Thank you in advance

First time mum smile

Heirhelp Thu 22-Dec-16 11:14:39

If in doubt feed is my motto. You can't over feed a breast feed baby.

Babies often like to sleep well for a few days just to change it back. They like to keep us on our toes.

Pipsicola Thu 22-Dec-16 12:12:05

Agree feed. He's still tiny and it's not unusual for routines to change, in fact unusual for them not to! When my DD was about that age she slept through for 3 days then went back to feeding average 1-2x night until 8 months old.

I've always fed if DD wakes, particularly when tiny. She's gradually stopped waking for feeds as she's got older and started eating solids. 20 minutes to feed then back to sleep always meant we got more sleep overall.

user1482402248 Thu 22-Dec-16 15:28:30

Ok - thank you.

I think I knew I should feed so many people ask me if he is sleeping through yet.....and a little part of me was worried if I fed him it would be encourage him to wake more during the night.

But you are right, he is still tiny and has a tiddy stomach.

Thank you again

Heirhelp Thu 22-Dec-16 16:01:00

For comparison my formula fed 7 and half month still wakes at least twice a night for milk.

gfw01 Thu 22-Dec-16 22:00:44

Really? OK - will definitely feed him this morning when he awakes. I imagine he will go back to sleep after as opposed to staying awake for hours.

TY

PonderLand Thu 22-Dec-16 22:20:36

I have this conversation with myself every night! I've tried risking it and shooshing to sleep which some times works but more often than not I end up getting up to get milk. My lb is 6 months old and changes his sleep & feeding routine weekly!

ZZZZ1111 Fri 23-Dec-16 07:38:06

If in doubt whip it out!smile

gfw01 Fri 23-Dec-16 08:01:45

So this morning I did feed him when he awoke at 4am and he fell back to sleep and settled far quicker than previous nights. If he's going to wake me with all his snuffling, thrashing, grunting and groaning for hours I may as well feed him!

Normally (!) he will cry at night if he is hungry. He didn't cry this morning, yet when I boobed him, he fed for almost half an hour so must have been starving! Poor boy!

ZZZZ1111 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:11:59

Babies are very changeable, I have found as mine got older he was less likely to cry if hungry but would show different cues. Now if he stirs much in the night (we co sleep) he gets a boob shoved in his mouth!

gfw01 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:56:43

Yes - I think you're right. His cues have changed, at nighttime anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now