Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grandparents

(7 Posts)
LiamsMommy303 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:45:59

Does anyone feel like they're in laws or grandparents of the child.. overstep their boundaries when it comes to their child?

BackforGood Thu 22-Dec-16 00:56:53

I don't, but there are hundreds of posters on here who do.

Why, what have yours done ?

KurlyWurly88 Thu 22-Dec-16 01:27:14

Absolutely! I have 4 days of coming over Christmas confused

AmeliaJack Thu 22-Dec-16 01:54:53

The trick is to politely, positively and firmly make it clear where the boundaries are.

It can be a minefield for Grandparents because what bothers one person doesn't bother another. What's acceptable in one family (e.g. With one set of GC) might not be acceptable in another.

My DPs and PILs both adore my DC but I've had to firmly set boundaries (in different places) with both of them. No fuss, no drama just a "please do/don't do this".

If they don't listen the first time the conversation is firmer and consequences made clear.

We all get along fine.

You have to bite the bullet and make your wishes clear though.

SeaEagleFeather Fri 23-Dec-16 09:51:07

hehe amelia it sounds like you have to treat your DPs and PILs as if they too are toddlers! :D (I mean that nicely, it just struck me reading your phrasing smile )

AmeliaJack Sat 24-Dec-16 06:28:23

SeaFeather grin

I think it can be very difficult for Grandparents when DILs/SILs are seething in silence and they have no idea where they have gone wrong.

But yes, broadly it's the same approach I use with my children, positive voice, big smile, clear directions with a firm expectation that my requests will be carried out.

Everyone knows where they are, problems can be discussed openly and we all get along well without arguing or resentment.

SeaEagleFeather Sat 24-Dec-16 10:39:13

<is on the same page there!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now