Talk

Advanced search

5am waking - officially at the end of other tethers!

(33 Posts)
Zoeb1982 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:37:45

Can anyone offer me some advice...anything at all that could stop my son waking at 5am EVERY morning. I am so fed up of feeling exhausted and going to bed at 8.30pm!
He is 2yo and very strong willed. This has been going on for more than a year. He's waking out of habit, not out of hunger or anything else, and never goes back to sleep. He (& the rest of us, including his 4yo sister) are totally knackered.
We've tried everything we can think of and have read about - ignoring him, staying with him, rewards, Gro clock, wake to sleep method etc.
He is in a bed, but can't get out of his bedroom. We dont want the earth, just 6am! If we leave him to cry he wakes up the whole house (boy, can he cry) & has started kicking the door etc.
ANY advice will be so gratefully received.

lornathewizzard Tue 20-Dec-16 14:53:12

Just bumping for you. I hate when the day starts with a 5.

Cuppaand2biscuits Tue 20-Dec-16 15:07:56

I have no advice but masses of empathy and hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel.
My son did this for about 18 months. I can't remember when it started or ended but he would start the day anywhere for 4am onwards. Nothing I tried worked. I honestly got to the point where I was driving around looking for things I could jump off.
Then as suddenly as it started it stopped! Now he's 3 1/2 and will sleep from 7.30pm until 8.30am an often has to be woken up in time for dd school run.

Zoeb1982 Tue 20-Dec-16 15:25:43

Thank you. We often have days starting with a 4 too! I work part time, and can hardly keep my eyes open on these days. Ive never even looked a these posts before today, but feeling so desperate. Fingers crossed Santa will bring me a solution!

Cranb0rne Tue 20-Dec-16 15:44:04

I know it's not reassuring at the moment but our son used to do this and it has become much better as he's got older. He is 3 and a half and happy to potter around in his bedroom if he wakes early. Also is he still napping during the day? My son started sleeping much longer at night when he dropped his daytime nap just before he turned 3.

Zoeb1982 Tue 20-Dec-16 17:45:00

He still naps for an hour or 1.5 at around 12.30pm. He doesn't turn 2 until Jan 1 and also I don't think he'd make it though the day without one - I struggle to get him to lunchtime without falling asleep!

Wellitwouldbenice Tue 20-Dec-16 17:52:02

This wouldn't win any parenting awards but when I was in the same position I bought a stab for my bedroom. DS would come into our bed and watch some DVD of something whilst I got a bit more kip. Best money I ever spent.

Wellitwouldbenice Tue 20-Dec-16 17:52:21

TV!!! Not stab shock

DixieNormas Tue 20-Dec-16 19:24:00

Well ds3 who is 5 and ds4 who is 3 get up any time between 5 and 5.30, sometimes earlier every bloody day and always have done.

Their older brothers grew out of it by about 4-5 though

DixieNormas Tue 20-Dec-16 19:27:19

The older ones grew out of it at 3-4 even!

I always found that when they dropped the nap it helped. Unfortunately with the younger two it just means they go to bed earlier

Zoeb1982 Tue 20-Dec-16 19:33:46

Thank you - at least I know Im not alone. I'm more worried about my 4 yo being woken up by him every day as she's totally knackered and doesn't nap or even rest.
We have a TV in our bedroom but the boy ain't happy til he's downstairs running round! He absolutely rules the roost!

FATEdestiny Tue 20-Dec-16 19:37:26

What time does he go to bed?

Grumpbum Tue 20-Dec-16 19:44:25

My 2.5 was doing this we now have cut his nap to 45 mins (one sleep cycle) ride out the grumpiness for an hour and now we are getting 0645 wakes ups from 0400-0430

HeCantBeSerious Tue 20-Dec-16 19:45:56

My friend's DD has always woken at 5am. She's now 6. Nothing has changed it. Nothing. Some kids are just larks.

Cinnamon2013 Tue 20-Dec-16 19:54:34

It's really hard - I feel your pain OP. I hope it's a phase in your case. My DS is 3.5 and has always been a 5am-er - now the baby is waking with him. Gah. They are just full of beans. Unfortunately dropping the nap made sod all difference in his case, as did moving his bedtime later - it just means he now has a later bedtime and no nap... This is a really crap post but actually I'm happy it was trying to fix it all the time that we found hardest

WellErrr Tue 20-Dec-16 19:58:06

the boy ain't happy til he's downstairs running round! He absolutely rules the roost!

And herein lies your problem.

As long as he's going to bed at a sensible time (7-7.30ish) then when he wakes up at 5 you tell him it's still night time and to go back to bed.
If he continues pestering you then get cross.

You are the parent. Just because he wakes up at 5am and demands you all get up too, you don't have to. Just tell him no. And DO NOT relent!

Bugaboom Tue 20-Dec-16 20:02:13

My ds suddenly stopped waking at 5am when he was about 2 years 4 months. No reason just started sleeping til 7. We were making minor progress with gro clock before that so maybe stick with it?

Bobkinyoyo Tue 20-Dec-16 20:05:40

I would keep putting him back in his bed until 6am. Don't relent, even if you're doing it every morning for 2 weeks without result.

The approach you choose needs to be consistent for a long period of time to be effective, don't give up after a couple of days.

DixieNormas Tue 20-Dec-16 20:06:04

He's not even 2 yet, if she leaves him to it he will probably just make racket and wake his sister up

DixieNormas Tue 20-Dec-16 20:07:30

Actually he would, the op already said in the op

Bobkinyoyo Tue 20-Dec-16 20:09:26

I'm not saying leave him to it, I'm saying continually put him back in bed

RandomMess Tue 20-Dec-16 20:09:53

Restrict daytime nap and move it earlier and be resolute that life is boring, very very boring until you decide it is morning.

He is getting enough sleep because he's getting a nap.

2 of mine gave up naps at just 2, the other 2 loved their sleep and was much older.

IvysMum12 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:17:08

Truly sympathise: our youngest did this at 21 months for nearly 2 years. His poor older brother age 5 had sometimes been awake for 4 hours by the time his school day started.
Absolutely nothing we tried worked. We grabbed sleep when we could- often in shifts!
It will pass. Just look forward to digging him out of his pit when he's a teenager. Revenge is so sweet.

PlonkerFace Tue 20-Dec-16 21:34:42

Feel your pain sadI'm up at 4.30 every day with 4 kids, DS1 is 2, DS2 is 1 tomorrow and DSD's are 5 and 8, they are all practically in the same bedroom as the boys share a room and the stairs for DSD's attic bedroom goes from the boys room, so it's all open. The boys wake between 4 and 5 every day and we can't leave them there and not get up because they wake everyone else in the room fsad 6am would be bliss, I am exhausted

2ndSopranos Wed 21-Dec-16 07:06:07

I hate to break this to you, but our 9 yo has only just started sleeping beyond 6.30... No advice, just sympathy, and it's ok to kill anyone who moans they have to get their dc up in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now