Talk

Advanced search

Colic or reflux?

(10 Posts)
Littlelegs19 Tue 20-Dec-16 03:45:41

My DS is 1 month old today and struggling with trapped wind (?) He does burp when fed but after feeding he drawers legs up, very red in the face and just generally sounds very uncomfortable. It seems to be getting worse. Is this colic or reflux?

I started giving him infacol and it was defiantly working but then I bought colief instead and stopped the infacol and his symptoms have worsened but I think I may have been using the colief wrong. I make the bottle with perfect prep machine and give straight away. I now believe I'm supposed to wait half hour for the colief to work? Also, if I wait half half after making the bottle with colief the bottle will be cold, will it still work? I feel I've just spent £10 and as I've possibly been using it wrong have wasted it and not help my DS.

He feeds every 2-3 hours (4-5oz) could this also be why he is uncomfortable? I understand this is a lot for a 1 month old?

Any help or advice would be great.

toastyarmadillo Tue 20-Dec-16 03:55:12

Babies don't eat more than they need typically, guidelines are exactly that just guidelines, if he needs to feed every two hours then thas what he needs, babides hAve tin sto macs at the end of the day. The pulling up his legs sounds more trapped wind, I never found colief much good lots of puking, I'm sure someone else will be along who can advise. I used infacol and found it to work pretty well. I used it with my reflux baby just fine. Maybe try keeping him upright following a feed see if it helps, I use to put mine in the sling after a feed so they didn't throw the whole lot back up when they had reflux. If it's genuinely reflux your paediatric consultant can prescribe med's and special formula to help. I remember those days of frequent feeds, I imagine your exhausted, try to remember your doing great and let your baby lead with feeding amounts and times.

Heirhelp Tue 20-Dec-16 09:54:14

Drawing up legs sounds like trapped wind. Gripe water is good to help a baby burp. To help you baby fart do some baby massage. They also have to learn how to poo, which muscles to tense and which ones to relax and this can cause them distress. All babies have immature digestive systems and they find it hard to digest milk. Lactose the sugar in milk can be particularly difficult for babies to digest, if this is your baby's problem then colief can help. You need to read the instructions on the packet about how to use it. If you baby's issues are not caused by lactose then it won't help.

billabye Tue 20-Dec-16 09:56:52

Can you not just go back to infacol if it was definitely working? Colief is a huge faff and more expensive.

SausageSoda Tue 20-Dec-16 09:59:47

It sounds like silent reflux to me. Stop using the colief and ho back to the infacol if it worked. Infacol or gaviscon did nothing for my DD. A drop of gripe water in her bottle worked wonders.

Heirhelp Tue 20-Dec-16 10:04:32

Gripe water is not suppose to be given in bottles. The boots gripe water mixture is way more convienent than the traditional stuff. If you get gripe water make sure you get a syringe from the chemist to measure it out with.

SausageSoda Tue 20-Dec-16 10:09:50

Why isn't it supposed to be given in a bottle? Was a nightmare trying to get DD to take 5ml of it from a teaspoon or syringe so HV suggested adding it to bottle which I've been doing for a while. Curious as to why I shouldn't?

Actually OP, gripe water shouldn't be given to very young babies - can't remember if it's 1 month plus or 3 months plus. Think it might be one month though and it will say on side of box.

Heirhelp Tue 20-Dec-16 10:26:03

Gripe water if from 1 month.

sausage I have no idea why it is not a good idea to put in the bottle but did say it in big bold letters on the leaflet.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 20-Dec-16 10:28:00

dentinox colic drops can be added straight to the bottle, worked wonders for FF DD2

hopeful31yrs Wed 21-Dec-16 00:03:03

Suffering with trapped wind here 6 weeks. Have used gripe water since yesterday in all bottles and DS has settled nicely. Still having awful reflux but manageable. We'll see if it continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now