kamikayzed Mon 19-Feb-07 09:20:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kamikayzed Mon 19-Feb-07 22:10:15

Beauregard Mon 19-Feb-07 22:12:43

45 ish?
<shudders>

IamnotStressed Mon 19-Feb-07 22:19:15

We started when ds turned 3 and he seems fine. Use your common sense, if he seems too worried, read him something else.

karlou Mon 19-Feb-07 23:02:21

My dd2 is in Reception and keen to try out her new reading skills so read an old Ladybird copy of Chicken Licken to me the other day.
She read the book well until she reached the last page and after reading 'then Foxy Loxy ate Chicken Licken, Henny Penny etc' thrust the book at me in horror and said I was to read the rest!
Mind you she then played a long game where she was Foxy Loxy eating everything...including Mrs Foxy Loxy and all the little Foxy Loxies

slim22 Tue 20-Feb-07 10:15:00

DS 3year old and loves any story featuring the big bad wolf.
He has just seen shrek and discovered a whole world of ogres,dragons, scarry queens, witches and fairies.
I think he has no idea what they are but does understand they are vilains and likes the thrill.
I tend to read my own version of those stories because although I think they can understand good and evil, they can not really grasp the motives. I try and keep it simple, however If he asks questions then I am happy to elaborate.
I tink it is also important to say that it is a fantasy world and that in real life, wolves don't come out the woods.
PS: for those who followd my earlier thread on "who's afraid of the big bad wolf"........I've learnt my lesson.

DetentionGrrrl Tue 20-Feb-07 11:51:59

i think some people worry too much about protecting kids from everything these days. If he's 'advanced', he's bound to get bored with books for his age- i did as a child. Fantasising about being the bad guy just shows imagination i think- you'll soon know if there's really a problem.

My grampa used to tell us stories with wolves etc from a young age, and despite all the murder and people-eating, the bit i always recalled was the end where all the surviving characters 'went home for bread and jam' at the end

franca70 Tue 20-Feb-07 12:05:45

I think it's quite normal to fantasize about being the bad guy.
I read Bruno Bettleheim's "Uses of Enchantment" where he discusses the importance of fairy tales. I know his work is very controversial, but I found this book quite interesting.
I think fairy tales are great...

frances5 Tue 20-Feb-07 13:15:17

I read my son the gingerbread man and he loved at five years old.

The world is an evil place at times. I think that it helps children to be introduced to stories with not nice things WHEN they are ready. It is easier to cope with emotions about a fairy tale than real life. (My son was absolutely devestated at the age of three when a little girl at his nursery died.)

Just because a child is intellectually advanced with books doesn't make them mature. Children also role play being a bad guy sometimes to explore their emotions.

It is very hard to stop little boys from making pretend guns with sticks. I have decided to let my five year old play pretend guns with sticks so that I can control his play. I doult he will grow up to be a serial killer.

kamikayzed Wed 21-Feb-07 09:58:12

redeastend Wed 21-Feb-07 14:48:35

what is an HSC?

DetentionGrrrl Wed 21-Feb-07 14:58:41

highly sensitive child? at a guess?

Smithagain Wed 21-Feb-07 17:39:05

DD1 is also very sensitive, but we did start reading these sorts of things when she was about 3yo. And I definitely think it's best to start them gently, with you, rather than waiting till he gets to school. Some of the DVD's DD1's friends watch (mainly Disney) seem rather scary to me!

Over the last couple of years, we've introduced her to some mildly scary stories and she has now got the idea that scary and sad things sometimes happen in stories, but generally things work out OK in the end.

kamikayzed Thu 22-Feb-07 00:05:29

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now