Talk

Advanced search

I just dropped my baby!

(18 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Sun 18-Dec-16 21:05:47

I feel so incredibly awful, I was carrying 6 month old dd facing outwards and tripped over the fucking step on to the landing. It seemed to happen in slow motion, I was stumbling and when I fell on my knees I dropped her on the floor. I'm assuming my brain told me to drop her rather than fall on top of her... I only dropped her about a foot, maybe even less, but she cried a lot and I feel like the worst mother ever right now! I'm just glad she fell on her face on to a soft rug. Could have been worse... that's what I'm telling myself anyway!
Don't even know why I'm posting, just need to vent I think.

SilverLinings2014 Sun 18-Dec-16 21:32:51

oh you poor thing, how horrible flowers
The shock and your understandable reaction probably caused her to cry more than having hurt herself.

Manumission Sun 18-Dec-16 21:36:40

But you've checked her over and she's okay?

Most people do this at some point; Drop the baby or leave it on a bed and it rolls off, or trip or SOMETHING.

You're not alone. They're heavy, wriggly things flowers

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 18-Dec-16 21:37:57

Oh bless you sad
You are not the worst mother ever, we've all had something like that happen, whether it's baby rolling of the bed or in my case, accidentally punching my DD in the face blush she was about 8 months old, and her soppy cup was in one of those awkward bottle pockets on my changing bag with the elastic round the top. I was holding DD in one hand, trying to retrieve the cup with the other, but the elastic just wouldn't give....so I pulled the cup a bit harder, which then flung out from the elastic a lot quicker than I expected, and my hand collided with DD's face leaving the poor girl with a bit of a shiner blush I felt terrible too, but accidents happen and there's no lasting damage!
It was probably more the shock of falling for your DD than her actually being hurt flowers

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 18-Dec-16 21:56:39

Oh yeah, she's totally fine now. Not even the slightest mark. I think it was a shock for all of us! I just get such bad guilt...

badg3r Sun 18-Dec-16 22:05:34

Welcome to the club!! I remember when DS rolled off the bed onto the carpet, it was about a foot too and I felt awful at the time. Glad she is fine smile

Oblomov16 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:12:03

Don't give yourself a hard time. Happens to lots of people.

SausageSoda Sun 18-Dec-16 23:15:25

5 month old DD was wailing like a banshee for most of the day today and refusing to nap so was an over tired mess. I took her for a walk in buggy to try and get her to shut-up/sleep and I was a bit too vigorous going up a kerb and her head flung forward and then head bounced back against her buggy. Still hating myself and feeling guilty.

OhWhatAPalaver Mon 19-Dec-16 13:42:10

Aw seems it happens to most of us. Good job they are resilient!

BrieAndChilli Mon 19-Dec-16 14:03:18

DC1 - rolled off the bed for the first time - me hysterical, rang FIL to take us to minor injuries
DC2 - fell off the sofa for the first time - me upset, checked them over, lots of cuddles
DC3 - can't even remember what happened the first time they fell off something, I expect I quickly checked over, realised was fine and carried on!

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Mon 19-Dec-16 14:13:28

Child one- lost him in Hanover Germany Ikea. For ages. Shit a brick!
Child two- lost in Woolworths and couldn't even remember what colour top she had on when the police asked
Child Three- left 2nd floor window open the day he decided to start crawling and found him hanging by his fingertips
Child four- followed him up the stairs, got distracted by child three and baby rolled all the way down. Proper arse over head rolls.
I'm actually feeling pretty crappy remembering all that!

BelfastSmile Mon 19-Dec-16 14:20:33

At about that age my DS was sitting on my knee when I realised I needed to get up. I stood up just as he pushed himself up strongly. The combined momentum sent him head-over-heels onto the floor. Thankfully he landed on a cushion. I can laugh about it now, but I felt awful at the time.

DH almost dropped him head-first onto a hard floor from arm-height when he was a couple of months old. Thankfully he managed to catch him by the ankle before he hit anything..!

girlandboy Mon 19-Dec-16 14:24:33

Aw, welcome to the club. She'll be fine, you've both had a shock.
I threw 5 day old DS across the bedroom floor by tripping up the last step too. He rolled a full 10 feet!

NickyEds Mon 19-Dec-16 21:27:49

I fell down the stairs carrying ds when he was 11 months. I was pregnant at the time. All was well. I've dropped a fair amount if stuff I him too. Try not to worry, everyone I know has had a moment like this!

onlymrsmac Mon 19-Dec-16 21:33:35

When I was in hospital after having DD, 46 hour labour, EMCS, she was obviously crying and hungry as newborns are. I hadn't slept in 3 days and I was desperate. Laid her on my chest, fell asleep, and bloody dropped her.

Cue midwives running in, grabbed her, checked her over and passed her back. Felt absolutely dreadful, crying, panic attack the lot. She was fine, and thank god she didn't fall all the way.

Don't beat yourself up flowers

OhWhatAPalaver Tue 20-Dec-16 01:30:56

Wow! Some excellent examples of baby dropping here! Makes me feel better grin

Cutesbabasmummy Wed 21-Dec-16 10:21:32

Mt son rolled off a sofa when I didn't think he could move and has fallen off our bed numerous times. Yo feel awful but luckily small people are quite bouncy it seems x

Funnyface1 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:51:39

It happens, try not to get too upset if she is ok. When my boy was a baby I tripped over his baby walker and had a very similar experience. Was awful for both of us but he was ok. My new baby girl is 4 months and I'm still being extra careful cos you never forget, but try to put it in perspective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now