Talk

Advanced search

When your 6-7year olds waste their Sunday lunch and say they are hungry an hour later

(42 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Sun 18-Dec-16 17:08:16

Do you..... let them have a snack before their next meal. Or make them wait for their next meal and say you should have ate your lunch

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 18-Dec-16 17:09:56

I offer something bland and healthy. like fruit+yoghurt.

JellyWitch Sun 18-Dec-16 17:11:04

I tell them they should have eaten their lunch but I might bring tea forward a bit.

Guitargirl Sun 18-Dec-16 17:12:59

I would make them wait. Sunday lunch is a right faff to prepare but there's plenty of different types of food in there for even the fussiest of eaters. And at 6/7 they are not toddlers anymore.

Shallishanti Sun 18-Dec-16 17:13:21

I'd get the uneaten lunch out of the fridge and offer to microwave it.
perhaps
unless they make a habit of it, in which case I'd want them to learn from being hungry

willconcern Sun 18-Dec-16 17:13:55

In my house, tough luck. They wait til dinner. I would probably do dinner a bit early though - they won't know

CMOTDibbler Sun 18-Dec-16 17:16:07

I would give something like raw carrot (nothing as exciting as yogurt!) at that age. A bit older and they would have to wait for the next meal - assuming that the refused meal was something they normally like/ had elements they like etc.

uhoh2016 Sun 18-Dec-16 20:03:43

Make them wait definitely they're not babies. Old enough to know that if you don't eat a meal you'll be hungry. To give them something else an hour after leaving a meal just gives the message it is ok to skip a meal because you'll get a snack anyway

TheLongRoadToXmas Sun 18-Dec-16 20:06:18

I'd offer a piece of fruit mid-afternoon, which I normally do anyway, but nothing more until tea time. I think it does no harm for a child that age to feel a bit hungry in advance of their next meal.

KatyN Sun 18-Dec-16 21:44:44

I would also microwave the roast that I had put in the fridge. This can backfire because if they eat that later then dinner might not work. But that is NOT THE POINT (cuts nose off to spite face)!

Believeitornot Mon 19-Dec-16 21:36:10

Maybe they don't like your Sunday dinner....

Gowgirl Mon 19-Dec-16 21:40:24

They wait till the next meal, they can have a glass of milk if desperate, but my dcs are little sods for this.

Petalbird Mon 19-Dec-16 21:44:16

Wait till next meal and say you should have eaten lunch or they may fall in a habit of not eating if they prefer the snacks

Fairylea Mon 19-Dec-16 21:47:24

I'd make them something else like a sandwich. Maybe they just didn't fancy the lunch? We don't always want to eat the same as everyone else.

(My son is 4 and has asd and a very restrictive diet - he is under the care of a dietician as all he ever eats is bread and pasta. We don't ever make an issue of food, he eats whatever he likes whenever he likes).

ChocoChou Mon 19-Dec-16 21:49:48

They will be hungry til the next meal. No exceptions!
Fill 'em up on water

Wigeon Mon 19-Dec-16 21:51:05

Tough - they have to wait until the next meal. The DC (aged 5 and 8) know that they either eat when they are offered food, or they wait until the next meal / usual snack (e.g. Mid morning). They don't get to refuse a meal and then have something nicer an hour later.

I also don't insist that they eat a certain quantity at any given meal since they do genuinely seem to not be very hungry (and other times seem to eat as much as an adult).

Crumbs1 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:51:33

Let them wait until next mealtime, definitely.

Wigeon Mon 19-Dec-16 21:52:01

Should have been: They do genuinely seem to not be very hungry at some meal times

Gowgirl Mon 19-Dec-16 21:54:04

This is why I've cut out snacks, 3 meals plus supper if they want it.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 19-Dec-16 21:55:44

If mine don't eat lunch that's it til tea.

Don't do snacks

But I'm. Pretty mean grin

GeorgeTheThird Mon 19-Dec-16 21:57:08

This is what microwaves are for

Believeitornot Mon 19-Dec-16 21:58:19

I think it's a bit mean to reheat food. Maybe they weren't hungry at meal time. Maybe the food wasn't great.
You wouldn't do it to yourself so why them?

OSETmum Mon 19-Dec-16 21:59:36

The day ds (7) wastes a Sunday dinner will be the day hell freezes over 😂 but in principle, I'd make him wait til tea time.

Gowgirl Mon 19-Dec-16 22:00:48

Missing a meal wont kill them, and I am not running a hotel....

Wolfiefan Mon 19-Dec-16 22:02:30

They wait. But they get a warning. When they ask to get down from the table at dinner time i say it's fine if they are full up but that's dinner and I'm not preparing anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now