Talk

Advanced search

Moving from breast to formula

(6 Posts)
KJM2013 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:17:16

Moving my 5 month old to formula from EBF in the new year. I know to avoid mastitis etc to drop a feed per week. She currently feeds every 2 hours during day and up a couple of times in the night.
As formula fed babies tend to go longer between feeds, any tips or advice on how to manage this transition?

ODog Sat 17-Dec-16 20:21:29

I did this with DS at around the same age. I went cold turkey during the day, hand expressing during the day for comfort and bf at night. Did this until supply adjusted and then swapped to bottles at night too. Probably not the recommended method though.

QuitMoaning Sat 17-Dec-16 20:24:34

I went cold turkey when he was seven months old as he bit me.

I did give him another chance at the next feed and he bared his teeth and went in for the bite again so I stopped there and then.

1 day of pain, 1 of discomfort and then nothing.

Raines100 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:32:54

If you drop 1 feed per week, you'll still be bf next Xmas!

Cold turkey is not recommended... but I did it, too. 1st couple of days were v sore- had to hand express. Ice, cabbage leaves and ibuprofen were my friends for a week. It got a bit better every 48 hours, and I was back to normal 2 weeks later. Think I was lucky.

Raines100 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:36:30

Oh, you mean one feed a day per week. Got it now grin

Heirhelp Sun 18-Dec-16 18:37:51

With formula feeding the recommendation is also on demand so just bf again when she next wants it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now