Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Car seat do you move it between cars?

(19 Posts)
MyMrKnightley Thu 15-Dec-16 10:50:05

Starting to think about second car seat - not outgrown maxi-cosi cabriofix but I live in the backend of nowhere so want to be prepared and not just grab what I can get hold of when I really need it.

So help please

Do you swap seat between your 2 cars? (If you have 2) or only take one car when you have child with you, or do you have 2 seats?

Do you have a seat you love? One car isofix one isn't. Car that doesn't have isofix has storage box in floor. Don't want a car seat that when child falls asleep heads falls forward

NapQueen Thu 15-Dec-16 18:23:55

We have the Britax Two way Elite. It's not isofix, and rear faces up to 25kg (over 4yo) as well as forward facing with the harness to the same age/weight.

It's very easy to swap between cars especially if you buy an extra set of tethers (20 quid ) - the tethers attach to the seat in front.

Caterina99 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:25:32

We usually just use the one car which has the car seat as our "family" car. If we need to then we can put it in DHs car. I'm a sahm though so it's rare DS is somewhere with DH and not me, or I just use DHs car. Friends that share nursery drop offs etc have a seat in each car as much more convenient.

museumum Thu 15-Dec-16 18:26:57

We have a britax duo plus which we use isofix in the car and by seatbelt in the van. It's easy to swap over and fixes easily both ways.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Thu 15-Dec-16 18:33:34

We have two britax Max way extended rear facing seats. Sometimes with juggling two full time jobs, meetings in far away places, business trips and nursery runs it isn't remotely possible to switch between cars. Would have been cheaper though!

Spudlet Thu 15-Dec-16 18:38:44

We're going to get the Joie Every Stage and just leave it in one car. The other car is a little runaround so we never use it for DS. We just swap cars depending on who's driving the baby.

QuackDuckQuack Thu 15-Dec-16 18:45:47

We have two britax two way elites. I'm not convinced that I would fit a seat right every time, so it's easier to leave one in each car.

Apparently lots of car seats aren't fitted correctly.

MyMrKnightley Thu 15-Dec-16 20:09:19

Ooh thanks everyone so far.

One more question I've thought of. My husband is tall and couldn't comfortably drive with car seat behind the drivers seat, not a problem currently as we only have 1 dc but with these extended rear facing seats what happens if you are tall and have 2 children? Can you fit one behind the driver? Or will I just have to get a massive car before a second child? or do I get to drive all the time

TeenAndTween Thu 15-Dec-16 20:13:56

We bought car seats for each car as it was much less trouble and once fitted they were fitted iyswim.
We never had rear facing or isofix so can't help there (youngest arrived aged 2.5 already).

NapQueen Thu 15-Dec-16 20:21:21

Depends as the ERF seats usually last to 4yo and the baby will be in an infant seat for minimum one year so may be an issue if you have say a 3yo and an 18mo.

Depends on the gap between kids I suppose.

Redkite10a Thu 15-Dec-16 20:32:20

We managed with one baby car seat, but when I went back to work we needed two for nursery drop off.

Dh is tall. You either need a bigger car (rear passenger legroom space not necessarily boot space) or a smaller extended rear facing car seat (how much space they take up varies by model) to fit the seat behind the driver. It also depends on what age gap you are planning, they can stay in a baby car seat for over a year so the older child might be ready to face forwards at that point.

We have the Britax Two Way Elite (seat belt installed) in one car and the Besafe modular (isofix) in the other for DC1, and move the baby seat for DC2. Both are good seats, but we found when we tried seats that how they fit really varies by car model so you really want to try several before buying.

SheepyFun Thu 15-Dec-16 20:35:31

We have two seats, only one car, and only one DD! Second seat isn't new, but we know the previous owner - it means we can transport friends. So I'd definitely get a second seat in your case.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 15-Dec-16 20:40:04

DH is 6'4'' and yes we had to buy a new car to fit 2 rear-facing seats.

Which is also the reason why we don't have 2 sets of car seats, he couldn't drive the other car comfortably anyway - so seats live in one car and whoever is taking the kids just takes the car with seats.

EwanWhosearmy Thu 15-Dec-16 20:43:44

We have always had a seat in each car. Much easier than having to swap.

Waggamamma Thu 15-Dec-16 20:48:29

We have a seat in each car (2kids so 4 seats).

We have maxi cosi priori xp (one isofix one not) for the 2yr old.

And britax kidfix for the 6yr old.

MiaowTheCat Fri 16-Dec-16 08:39:42

6 foot 7 husband (so v.v. tall) and we had to change car to get both car seats in. Surprisingly a great bit hulking Astra estate had so little rear passenger leg room when the driver's seat was back that it wasn't really a comfortable fit for car seats! (My old A Class was like the tardis though and absolutely fine)

We had one really good set of car seats that stayed in the main car the kids were ferried around in, and then a set of cheaper ones (they may have been hand me downs from someone we knew and trusted - memory fails a bit there) that we kept in the secondary car for the very rare occasions they were in there. We figured that was probably a balance between the risks of refitting them constantly and not being done properly, and financial limitations since the kids were very very rarely in the other car. If we knew they were going to be in the other car for any decent length journey we switched seats over.

Now they're in high back boosters we just have a set in each car - now they're at different bloody activities all over the shop they tend to be in both cars much more these days.

Kel1234 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:58:44

Our lo is 15 months but has only just got too tall for his infant seat. We don't drive, so needed one that is easy and quick to move. We also wanted him rear facing for as long as possible. So we went for the Joie every stage.

TriJo Fri 16-Dec-16 12:22:06

We have the Joie Every Stage as well - it's a relatively simple belt installation so easy enough to swap between cars if we need to.

Gillian1980 Fri 16-Dec-16 13:12:21

We have 2 seats as sometimes one of us has unexpectedly needed to go somewhere with our dd or collect her from nursery. Her first seat we had one but a base in both cars but it was easy to lift in and out. Now it would be a pain fitting the seat in properly if we had to keep swapping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now