Talk

Advanced search

My 5mo is so fat I can't find clothes to fit!

(38 Posts)
amigoingabitcrazy Tue 13-Dec-16 14:52:49

What the title says really. She's wonderfully healthy according to the doctor and not overfed. She was breastfed on demand for 4 months and is drinking the right amount of formula for her age now! I live in quite a small town and we have a H&M next and Debenhams but I can't find babygrows/leggings that her legs fit into without being rediculously long! All in one coats don't fit so I have to wrap her in lots of warm blankets to leave the house and can't get her out the pram without struggling. At the moment she lives in 9-12 months baggy pjs. Does anyone know any brands I can buy from online that might fit? I'm reluctant to keep ordering things and sending them back I seem to live in the post office!

sianihedgehog Tue 13-Dec-16 14:55:57

Mothercare and M&S fit my chunky baby best, but I still have to roll up arms and legs.

Imaginationfailedtoload Tue 13-Dec-16 14:57:16

Next sizes are quite generous too

NameChanged22 Tue 13-Dec-16 15:00:20

Next and Boots have been a godsend for my chunky 5 month old! Generous sizing, and amazing quality!

AnguaResurgam Tue 13-Dec-16 15:00:51

Learn to knit?

Making your own might be the best interim solution, whilst keeping a weather eye on growth trajectory just to be on the safe side.

And go for separate tops/vests plus joggers and socks/padders rather than trying to find all-in-ones (guessing chunky thighs might be the issue?)

scaredofthecity Tue 13-Dec-16 15:02:14

Oh that brings back memories, I posted the same about DS at the same age. You'll be pleased to hear he fits everything now!
He lived in leggings for quite a while, definitely m&s, I managed to find a pair of jeans from there as well for when he needed to look vaguely smart. I'm pretty sure he was just in normal baby grows from sainsburys but I don't think they come up especially big. I was told frugi was good for the larger baby but was out of my price range.

amigoingabitcrazy Tue 13-Dec-16 15:02:34

I will try m&s thank you. And the next leggings don't fit her, I tried 1.5 - 2 years but had to roll them it so much they were cutting her legs blush

amigoingabitcrazy Tue 13-Dec-16 15:03:32

After months of struggling now I've wrote this down I don't know why I haven't just been cutting the excess length off! Thanks for the replies x

Rinceoir Tue 13-Dec-16 15:06:58

Frugi stuff is huge. Next too and m+s. John Lewis own brand also quite large.

scaredofthecity Tue 13-Dec-16 15:07:06

Yeh we found next pretty rubbish, and tesco, asda and morrisons were no gos as well.
Oh I just remembered he was gifted some leggings from jojomaman that he wore all the time. They looked long but stretched nicely widthways iyswim!

amigoingabitcrazy Tue 13-Dec-16 15:09:01

And yes it's the chunky thighs and the very rotund belly. At the moment she has about 10 items of clothing in total! I do mainly try separates but the winter coat I bought to fit her tummy absolutely swamps her arms and she gets agitated because she can't move! Oh we have a boots I didn't even thing of that, will definitely try there too thank you!

amigoingabitcrazy Tue 13-Dec-16 15:10:04

I've not heard of frugi or Jojomaman will take a look online! Thank you

hugoagogo Tue 13-Dec-16 15:15:05

bundlers are great for at home.

hugoagogo Tue 13-Dec-16 15:16:21

star wrap instead of a snow suit.

amigoingabitcrazy Tue 13-Dec-16 15:18:53

I feel so sheltered for not having seen these before blush both fantastic thank you so much.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 13-Dec-16 15:23:03

https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/essential-accessories/vest-extenders.html vest extenders - meant to make vests fit over cloth bums, but work equally well for chunky babies!

Artandco Tue 13-Dec-16 15:25:31

John Lewis is good

ProfYaffle Tue 13-Dec-16 15:43:01

Dd2 was a bit chunky and also wore huge cloth nappies so spent her first couple of years being almost entirely spherical. I dressed her in Frugi dresses a lot (pricey but keep an eye on their sales and 2nd hand on Ebay) with baby leg warmers rather than leggings or tights.

scampimom Tue 13-Dec-16 15:43:08

Sorry I can't offer any practical help, but thank you for giving me a mental image of this squidgy little schnuzzball, she sounds absolutely adorable! Can't resist those croissant legs grin

KurriKurri Tue 13-Dec-16 15:43:26

Nothing useful to add but your baby sounds gorgeous - I love a chunky little bundle smile

Bear2014 Tue 13-Dec-16 15:45:45

Cute!! My DD was in cloth nappies and she was chubby so she lived in generously cut babygros as above Frugi, Jojo, etc. Also great are harem pant type things, loads of people on facebook, etsy etc make them. I think Mothercare do wrap-around vests with velcro fastening, as an alternative to popper vests.

Afreshstartplease Tue 13-Dec-16 15:51:33

Out of interest what percentile is she on?

MsShopper Tue 13-Dec-16 15:55:42

I have a similarly chunky monkey (though now 10 months and getting leaner as he gets more mobile). I found M&S and JL to be more generous size-wise, and Jojo Maman have the BEST sleepsuits for extra room round fat squidgy knees etc. grin

Blaze6 Tue 13-Dec-16 15:57:38

Another vote for frugi! They are designed for cloth bum babies so allow for more room, the general sizing can be a bit funny though so it's trial and error, I've always found things a good fit but they do allow returns. It can be expensive so perhaps check out eBay but obviously you soundly be able to return things to them!

SassyPants19 Tue 13-Dec-16 16:05:52

Could you try the Blade and Rose leggings? Ive found them to be generous and stretchy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now