Talk

Advanced search

Dummy for breastfed baby

(19 Posts)
TeaGirl3 Tue 29-Nov-16 15:14:36

Hi, can anyone recommend a dummy for breastfed babies that helps to prevent nipple confusion?

Our DD is five weeks and is exclusively breastfed; we have used bottles in the past (ff and expressed) but we've finally cracked bf. She has colic and I've read about how having a dummy can help to soothe her (rather than her constantly feeding on me).

As she's done brilliantly with bf, I'd hate for her to get confused if we introduced a dummy (only for the colic moments). Can anyone recommend any particular brands or advise on anything we should consider, if we do buy her one?

FATEdestiny Tue 29-Nov-16 15:17:55

My breastfed babies fed fine regardless of the type of dummy.

I favour cherry test dummies because the bulbous end stays in the mouth more easily.

MainliningChocolate Tue 29-Nov-16 15:48:04

My ebf dd had no problem with a dummy and it definitely helped settle her at night! She is fussy though, would only take the mam brand.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Tue 29-Nov-16 15:49:36

Mam seem to be working well with us although I might experiment with shape as some seem to pop out v easily.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 29-Nov-16 16:56:14

We used Tommee Tippee because they were the first ones we came across in the shop. No nipple confusion - if baby is hungry they will spit out the dummy because there's no milk coming out of it!

Heatherbell1978 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:58:41

I wouldn't worry. With DS1 we introduced one when he was 5 weeks with no problems. A NUK one did the trick.

perfectlybroken Tue 29-Nov-16 17:02:54

I gave ds1 a dummy at 2 days old, as he was restless and wanted to suck all the time. He was exclusively bf. I think the first one we gave him was Mam. I highly recommend it, he became the easiest baby ever!

TeaGirl3 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:06:21

Thanks everyone! That's helpful!

Lake2 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:09:32

I have mine a mam dummy at 5 months

NurseRosie Tue 29-Nov-16 19:16:01

I was just about to post a similar thing. Is nipple confusion real? I've given my 2 week old a dummy as he is really unsettled on an evening/night. It has really helped but now, since seeing the health visitor, I'm scared I could be causing issues. He seems to be feeding really well.

CarrotPuff Tue 29-Nov-16 19:16:48

From what I've heard, it's real but extremely rare.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 29-Nov-16 20:16:18

As long as you're not ignoring feeding cues then there's no need to worry at such a young age. Some babies like a dummy, don't stress over it.

ODog Tue 29-Nov-16 21:04:52

I've literally never met a baby with nipple. Infusion because of a dummy.

However, it's unlikely to be successful if you only use it when she is upset. They need to practise using it when they are calm and settled otherwise they will just be cross and angry and spit it out when they are upset. They need to associate it with being content and not just being upset. Some manage to get babies to just use a dummy for sleep/upset times but ime you can't have your cake and eat it. They either have it quite often or not at all. At least in the beginning. Once they have the hang of it and are hooked then you can gently wean them down to using it when you want them to. My 2.5yo still has one at night and for naps (although would have it all day if I let him) and it has been a long gradual process to get her. My 6mo is less 'High needs' and now has it for sleep, the car and intermittently during the day if she is grizzly. I have no issue with this arrangement and I think dummies are great.

Pluto30 Tue 29-Nov-16 21:24:53

Two of mine took a dummy with no nipple confusion issues.

One of mine only liked the cherry teat ones, but the other would take anything.

Brittanyspears Wed 30-Nov-16 21:49:20

I think nipple confusion is made up. We started DD on orthodontic NUK dummies then moved onto regular advent.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 30-Nov-16 21:54:39

Three lactation consultants I know dismiss nipple confusion. I think the bigger concern is babies who are bottle fed often begin to prefer a bottle to breast, not out of confusion but because bottles are less hard work. This gets mistaken for nipple confusion when babies don't want to breastfeed/prefer a bottle

I tried almost every dummy under the sun with dd1. The only ones I didn't try were cheap cherry teat ones and they're the only ones dd2 likes!

coffeecuppa Wed 30-Nov-16 21:58:41

My DS refused a dummy. He just used my poor nipples for 10+ months hmm

Phoenix76 Wed 30-Nov-16 22:13:27

notwithoutmymerkin has a good point. Evidently, it should be known as "nipple preference" not "nipple confusion" and this relates to bottles not dummies. Babies are clever little things, it doesn't take them long to figure out they can get milk without much effort from a bottle. With dummies there is no feeding gratification. Dummies were definitely useful when it was time for me to have just a little break!

DesignedForLife Wed 30-Nov-16 23:06:47

Avent here and no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now