Talk

Advanced search

What age would you start giving pocket money?

(4 Posts)
Beachpebble Mon 28-Nov-16 21:29:20

Basically what the subject says. Interested to know what age people start giving pocket money? My dd is only 6 and my dh has started talking to her about it. I think it's too early but wanted a quick survey of what age other people start at? And how much?

FantasticBeasts Mon 28-Nov-16 21:31:07

We started at 7, £25 a month, DD now has three years worth plus birthdays and other windfalls (from GPs) in a building society account.

She is very tight, reckons she is saving up for a car shock.

Manumission Mon 28-Nov-16 21:34:06

I think we started at 5. Small but regular weekly amounts.

Why do you think 6 is too young? Handling money, counting change, saving and planning is all good for them to get used to.

RumAppleGinger Mon 28-Nov-16 21:43:31

We started when DS was 4 and starting school. We mainly did this because everytime we went anywhere he would ask if he could get something; a magazine, a lego man, a kinder egg etc. When the answer inevitably no he would grump and sulk. So we started giving him pocket money. When he asked could he have X we could ask him if he had any of his pocket money left. Funnily enough now he is far less inclined to "need" junk and would rather save his money for something bigger. He'll see something and ask how many weeks he would need to save his pocket money for and ask if we will remind him that he is saving up for something when he is over come by the urge to blow it all on the tat machines in a soft play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now