Toddler always ill :/

(14 Posts)
Fairy45 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:06:48

My toddler started nursery in Sept shes almost 18 months now and shes had everythong but chicken pox! She has had 2 chest infections in as many weeks, both of which have resulted in us being on childrens ward, we only finished antibiotics 2 weeks ago. Just before this she had hand, foot and mouth too. Now she has another cold, conjunctivitis and is starting to wheeze again! What is going on and what can I do to break the cycle?? Work is getting so pissed off with me being off all the time but it doesnt help that Im a single mum trying my best to hold down a full time job while bringing up my child. Arrrghhh help!! How do I get her well again!! Take her on holiday somewhere hot?? Wrap her up in bubblewrap?? Keep her locked up in the house?? Help!!!!!!

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Mon 28-Nov-16 21:11:50

Welcome to the world of nursery. DSS had so many coughs, colds, stomach bugs and chicken pocks that he had 50 doctors appointments in the first two years.

CocktailQueen Mon 28-Nov-16 21:14:53

I give my DC probiotic yogurt every day plus a good multivitamin. It does sound like your dd is getting more than her fair share of bugs, but I'm not sure what you can do about it! Hope she's better soon.

fabulous01 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:16:02

I have twins so I have this times 2! It does get easier

Fairy45 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:17:25

Oh my word 50 appointments that makes me feel better! Thought I was being dramatic! Which multivit are you using Cocktailqueen?

PinkiePiesCupcakes Mon 28-Nov-16 21:29:45

DD is 3.6 and has been in foundation since sept.
In that time she's been I'll more or less evey other week. Sniffles, coughs, conjunctivitis etc etc.
I'm hoping she starts building her immune system and it settles soon.

Liskee Tue 29-Nov-16 09:39:24

My DS was in the same position as you this time last year...this winter though it's only a bit of a runny nose and not one day off nursery. It does get better but you just have to keep up with the multivitamins (we use Abidec), keep giving plenty of fruit and veg and water and treat the symptoms when they start.

cudbywestrangers Tue 29-Nov-16 10:06:02

We had a rough time the first year ds1 was in nursery with constant illness. It's rubbish but it does usually get better as they get bigger and their immune systems get stronger... think he's only been off nursery because of chicken pox in the last year. Ds2 starts in January and I'm already dreading the constant bugs!!!

Cranb0rne Tue 29-Nov-16 10:12:06

It's totally shit when they start nursery especially when you're paying all that money and having to take time off work due to illness.

Cranb0rne Tue 29-Nov-16 10:15:45

I'm considering paying for the chicken pox vaccine for my baby as my older son was off nursery for 10 days with it.

CocktailQueen Tue 29-Nov-16 10:28:10

Fairy - Haliborange 3-12 and Bassetts 7-11. They both prefer the chewy fruit flavours. Tried to get them to take Well Kid 4-12 but neither was keen.

Lake2 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:15:01

Most get like this, unfortunately. Antibiotics also give the immune system a beating (imo). I don't know if anything can really help besides a good diet but I give good kids probiotic supplement, a multivitamin with iron and sambicol. 7 o clock bed times help too

Fairy45 Wed 30-Nov-16 18:56:19

She is in bed by 7pm every night and has a really good diet. Loves fruit and its just in a fruit bowl in the lounge she is constantly helping herself and asking for it to be peeled. Ive invested in vitamins because she did go onto cows milk aged 1 so will have dropped those vitamins. We are off to hospital tomorrow for an x ray because this is the worst chest infection of the 3 now! I worry that she will become immune to amoxycillin at this rate!
To the twin mummy i have no idea how you even leave the house!!!
Thanks for all the reassurance from those who have experienced these bad winters!

minipie Wed 30-Nov-16 19:05:56

First winter in nursery, lots of bugs are standard.

Unfortunately your DD does seem to be coming down with them particularly badly. Some DC are like this I think - DD2 always gets a phlegmy chest when she has a cold (DD1 never did). However DD2 is now on her second winter and it does seem to be a bit better than her first so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now