Bottle confusion

(12 Posts)
charley3005 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:13:04

Ok so I am currently 39 weeks and starting to get very nervous about everything! I'm been pretty laid back through my whole pregnancy but this past week I've become really apprehensive!
My main question is basically about making bottles up, I was hoping to breastfeed but MW and GP isn't 100% sure it will be possible for a few health reasons, I am going to try and understand that it might not work for me but now I'm starting to think about making bottles up,
Has anyone got a dummies guide from start to finish on what they do?
Everything else I've read just really confuses me blush

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:28:55

Have you meet with your HV yet? She will be able to help and there is a NHS leaflet too. If you do ff then get a perfect prep machine.

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:29:45

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/bottle-feeding-advice.aspx

KatyN Sat 26-Nov-16 22:30:16

Can you afford a perfect prep machine from tommy tippee? Absolutely amazing. About £70 new or £40 second hand. Worth every penny!

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:31:41

For bottle feeding you will need bottles. I and my lo most importantly like mam anti colic bottles, a steriliser (I like my electric on the bench one), powder milk although you can start with premade milk and bottles of premade milk for out and about. And lots of bibs.

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:33:48

These are expensive but can be handy at the beginning or to have on stand by incase bf does not work
m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FAptamil-1-First-Milk-Starter-Pack-70ml-x-6_1480929%2F

welshweasel Sat 26-Nov-16 22:34:49

Everything you need to know is on the NHS page linked to above. Ready made is useful when out. Getting baby to take milk at room temperature is a good idea as saves a lot of faff. Personally I love mam bottles. You can sterilise them in the microwave so don't need to buy a separate steriliser.

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:41:25

You can put the mam bottles in the steriliser but I find the electric steriliser quicker. Mam bottles also wash well in the dishwasher.

CoffeeAndCakeEssentials Sat 26-Nov-16 22:42:46

I ff both DS (for health reasons first time round and painful memories second time). We had a microwave steriliser but DS1 had oral thrush. Doc and MW both recommended a water steriliser as it is better at killing germs. We loved the water steriliser - just kept a tub of water with a steriliser tablet in on the draining board. Bottles and dummies stayed in there until needed. Super easy :-)
Whe DSs were tiny 0-2months we made up bottles with boiling water and cooled in a pot of cold water. Once they upped their milk intake and cooling took longer we cheated. After sterilising bottles we put in 2/3 boiling water. When cool bottles were put in the fridge. When feeds were needed we topped up the bottles with boiling water to required amountand added milk powder. The bottle was ready to go straight away at the right temp. smile I know some people will flame us for making up bottles 'wrong' but it worked for us.
Have milk stored ready in milk powder dispenser pots. I was given a super scoop - it measures out multiple scoops of powder in one go. Saves lots of time.
Good luck with baby and BF xx

charley3005 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:43:54

According to midwife I won't see my health visitor until after baby is born which I find odd!
Luckily mil has bought bottles and a steriliser for us, it's more whether to make up on demand or premake? If premake how are you doing it? How long are you keeping them for! I feel pretty dumb if I'm honest

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:51:21

Make on demand is recommended but so is feeding on demand. When your baby is screaming for food you can't wait 30 plus mins it takes to get a bottle. Get the perfect prep machine is makes a bottle to 37 degrees in less than two minutes without measuring the water.

To premake bottles you put in fresh water into the kettle, boil and leave the water for between 10 to 30 mins. Pour the water into the bottle to the required amount, add the powder, shake, cool and put in the fridge. Store in fridge max of an 24 hours. When milk is needed put it in a jug of hot water until it warms up.

Heirhelp Sat 26-Nov-16 22:51:52

But seriously get a perfect prep machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now