Talk

Advanced search

Dd cries for whichever parent who isn't doing the telling off

(16 Posts)
Afrovenator Sat 26-Nov-16 07:49:27

I do the majority of the disciplining, naughty step, time out, no you can't have a chocolate biscuit etc. before dinner type thing.

Dd 5 will cry for daddy when this happens. And Dd2.5 has just started doing the same. How do I deal with it? Because I'm not sure I'm handling it properly.

Lweji Sat 26-Nov-16 07:50:19

What does daddy do?

Gardencentregroupie Sat 26-Nov-16 07:51:10

Haha I think they all do it, I tried to get DD (2.5) to pick up a water bottle she chucked away in temper this morning and she sobbed and screamed for daddy. Well daddy came down and told her to pick up the bottle, so that was that. Does your DH back you up when he's around?

Afrovenator Sat 26-Nov-16 08:08:40

Daddy has been known to comfort them. Which I feel undermines whatever parenting I'm trying to do. When they come to me which isn't often, I get them to explain what happened, ask where they doing as daddy asked, then we have a conversation about it when they've calmed down.

lostinthedarkplayground Sat 26-Nov-16 08:10:31

Kids are pretty smart. It's your dh that's too dumb to realize he's being played by a toddler. Train your dh. Your kids are entirely normal lol.

PotteringAlong Sat 26-Nov-16 08:13:39

DS cries for DH when I tell him off. He cries for me when DH tells him off. Just the way it is!

PberryT Sat 26-Nov-16 08:16:30

Your dh is the problem not the kids.

PotteringAlong Sat 26-Nov-16 08:17:52

Ah, yes. But the difference is that they get the same message from DH and me.

Getnakedorgohome Sat 26-Nov-16 08:18:03

Agree, your dc are doing what all dc do, especially if your dh is comforting them! Your dh must back you up. My ds (4 and 2) do this sometimes. Dh will ask themm what they did to make mummy shout/use the naughty step and back me up. Same when they cry for me because dh has told them off.

LuchiMangsho Sat 26-Nov-16 08:19:58

I echo that DH is the problem. Here if they do that DH says 'Mummy is right, go listen to her.' Then they can go off grumbling together about their grossly unfair parents.

Afrovenator Sat 26-Nov-16 08:20:25

Daddy is a Disney dad...enough said!

These are the kind of things I say when they're screaming for him and he's not around. Makes me feel a bit rubbish tbh, like I'm not dealing with their behaviour properly.

'Daddy will not let you have that family sized selection box no matter how loud you scream.'

'I know you want daddy but he's at work' Then I distract.

MrsBellefleur Sat 26-Nov-16 08:24:52

My 3 year old does it too. "I want Daddy!" I'm normally say like you, "daddy's at work so you can't have him, but he wouldn't like you doing x just like mummy doesn't."

She does the opposite with dh as well, it must be some sort of ingrained toddler behaviour!

Afrovenator Sat 26-Nov-16 08:25:44

I'm glad to hear it's normal.

GeorgeTheThird Sat 26-Nov-16 08:37:28

It's absolutely normal. But it will only pass if your DH doesn't undermine your discipline. You're going to have to talk to him and agree an approach.

n0ne Sat 26-Nov-16 08:37:57

Our DD will do this occasionally and sometimes come out with "I love daddy!" when I'm telling her off, which makes me feel horrible. But DH and I reinforce each others disciplining so she doesn't get very far with it.

blondieblonde Sat 26-Nov-16 22:57:09

Normal. Annoying little buggers though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now