Talk

Advanced search

Carry cot to pram...

(26 Posts)
Dueindecember2016 Thu 24-Nov-16 19:48:38

At what age was your child before you moved them from the carry cot to a pram seat?

DesignedForLife Thu 24-Nov-16 20:55:15

5 months with DD as she outgrew the carrycot.

beckslovestimmy Thu 24-Nov-16 21:00:23

At about 12 weeks but the pram bit lays quite flat. I needed to move DS that early so I could fit DD on the buggy board.

doctorweenie Sat 26-Nov-16 17:54:16

4 months.
Ds1 hated the carrycot so it was preferable to the car seat!!

Artandco Sat 26-Nov-16 17:58:52

8/9 months. The bugaboo carrycot was quite large

gunting Sat 26-Nov-16 18:03:38

5 months, he outgrew the whole thing by 8 months so we had to get a stroller

glueandstick Sat 26-Nov-16 18:28:35

Never really used it as she hated it and preferred the car seat as she could see out.

Went into the seat unit about 5 months.

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 26-Nov-16 18:55:05

4/5 months when he wanted to look out and was frustrated at lying flat. I made do with the car seat for a while, then did the transformation (it's a bugger to get back to a carry cot on my pram).

Joinourclub Sat 26-Nov-16 18:58:07

I got a pushchair that lay flat so I put them in it from birth.

welshweasel Sat 26-Nov-16 18:58:27

3 months. He hated the carrycot due to reflux. He did have good head control at a young age though. If I had my time again I wouldn't have bothered with the carrycot at all, was a waste of money.

kiki22 Sun 27-Nov-16 15:45:14

3 weeks because he had reflux and hated it but my buggy seat bit was also from birth so lay almost flat I started sitting him up a little at 6 weeks-ish the reflux consultant told me to since he didn't fold into himself raised up.

Gardencentregroupie Sun 27-Nov-16 15:46:55

3 months, she screamed incessantly in the carrycot, I got an infant insert thingy for the pram seat so she could sit up and look around a bit. Transformed going for walks.

Rinceoir Sun 27-Nov-16 15:50:59

My DD outgrew the bugaboo carrycot at almost 6 months. She was a bit miserable lying flat for the last few weeks of that though, and as she was sitting independently before 5 months I probably should have moved her earlier!

frikadela01 Sun 27-Nov-16 15:51:24

I think about 10 weeks. He liked to look around so the pram seat was better for him.

Timetogrowup2016 Sun 27-Nov-16 15:58:02

Used carry cot for 3 months. Then car seat until 6 months,Now use seat and car seat.

passingthrough1 Mon 28-Nov-16 08:43:15

4 months. Bugaboo so it was massive so no need to space wise. But he cried in the carry cot every single time and never slept. In the sitting up bit is happy, interested in what's going on around and now will nap. It's been a life saver.
I was using a baby carrier previously but by 4 months he was too heavy to go everywhere with the baby carrier anymore so I didn't feel like I had a choice.

Not joking ... everything became SO much easier the day we took the carry cot off.

Dueindecember2016 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:26:02

Thanks everyone. We have a travel system and have all the bits ready to go. I like the idea of the carry cot for the early days but I would like to move to the pram (with a newborn insert) as soon as baby is ready. I like the idea of baby being able to be upright a bit more. I know it's all personal choice at the end of the day. As I don't drive I wouldn't be using the car seat unless I was with DH.

Artandco Mon 28-Nov-16 10:54:35

It isn't better for babies spine development to be flatter in pram the first 6 months. That's why prams without carrycots are suitable but only if a completely lie flat type, not a bucket type seat

Rinceoir Mon 28-Nov-16 11:05:21

Yes Art ideally babies should lie flat until around the time they can sit well with support (for most babies that is by 6 months hence the recommendation). If they can sit independently or with minimal prior to that it's probably ok to move them earlier.

Dueindecember2016 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:42:21

By looking at the comments on here, everyone is different. A majority of prams are suitable from birth anyway.

NerrSnerr Mon 28-Nov-16 11:59:34

We used ours for about 6 months. Our pushchair part did recline but preferred the carry cot.

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 28-Nov-16 12:04:09

I know some people have said they used the car seat bit after a few months but that is really bad advice. A car seat should Not be used for extended periods as a pushchair, there is scientific research showing that it isn't safe.

Dueindecember2016 Mon 28-Nov-16 12:45:34

Prolonged time in a car seat can curve the spine.

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Tue 29-Nov-16 10:49:53

12 weeks as DD got bored of lying flat so would grizzle the whole time we were out. The pram allowed her to be more upright and look around a bit.

glueandstick Tue 29-Nov-16 20:33:48

The endless screaming in a lie flat just isn't in for anyone. Sometimes you have to find a happy middle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now