Talk

Advanced search

Gender Stereotyping trying to help the confusion.

(9 Posts)
user1480008240 Thu 24-Nov-16 17:45:48

Do you think there is enough out there, such as publications, to inform new parents or families to understand how to address gender stereotypes with your child? For example why they are good or why they are bad, what the effects could be, to help them create an informed view on masculinity and femininity.

Whynotnowbaby Thu 24-Nov-16 17:51:23

What do you think op? I think we make our own decisions about how we raise our children and don't need to be told the answers by someone else. Obviously there are exceptions to this where what we do is dangerous but sexual stereotyping doesn't really come under that heading! You must come to your own conclusions about how you wish to parent your child. Do you feel insufficiently informed to do so? If so I am sure there will be a lot of people here who can offer you specific advice if you ask a more focused question.

M0stlyHet Thu 24-Nov-16 17:57:12

It's a "user12345" OP which significantly raises the odds that they are on the wind up. Furthermore the somewhat verbose and weirdly faux-intellectual wording sets my spidey senses tingling. I'd say "engage at your peril".

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 24-Nov-16 18:00:50

I would certainly recommend that parents don't read the Daily Mail to learn about this subject. Rags like the DM do great harm to society in a myriad of ways, not just through sexualising children and reinforcing harmful gender stereotypes.

Is that the sort of quote answer you were after OP?

user1480008240 Thu 24-Nov-16 18:09:29

ItsAllGoingToBeFine - yes, I'm trying to find a way to help inform about the confusion around whats the right or wrong thing to do about the gender stereotyping your child argument.

There's lots of bad press around whether you should give your child a pink toy if its a young girl etc. I just wanted to know if there was anything out there that could help understand the topic more. not just a book or a forums.

BertrandRussell Thu 24-Nov-16 18:18:14

What is your role here? Are you a parent? Teacher?HCP?

SpeakNoWords Thu 24-Nov-16 18:40:32

There's a book called "Parenting Beyond Pink and Blue: How to raise your kids free of gender stereotypes" that I think covers this in a lot of helpful detail.

M0stlyHet Thu 24-Nov-16 18:50:22

Oooh, I have an idea.

An Open University module, with a reading list:

In the pink-and-blue corner: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and Why Men can't iron and women can't read maps (I shit you not, there really is a book with that title - alarmingly they have a copy in the staff room of my local church primary school - makes me very glad I sent my DC to the other local primary school).

And in the red-yellow-and-green corner, Delusions of Gender, Pink Brain, Blue Brain and The Myth of Mars and Venus.

Then at the end of the course a good old 4-essays-in-3-hours written exam, and people can only become parents if they pass.

lljkk Sat 26-Nov-16 21:17:38

I gave my son a stick to beat his sister up with. I told her to wail and faint & call for her Prince Charming. It's great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now