Talk

Advanced search

iPad for 2 yr old

(21 Posts)
Chickpearocker Thu 24-Nov-16 12:19:59

So someone in my family wants to buy an iPad for my 2 yr old. Should I suggest another gift? I'm worried they might not be great for his speech or development.

InsaneDame Thu 24-Nov-16 15:43:52

My 7.5 year old doesn't even have an iPad.... What do kids actually do on them?

Greenifer Thu 24-Nov-16 16:33:35

I don't think any two year old in the world needs an iPad of their own, personally.

atticusclaw2 Thu 24-Nov-16 16:35:15

My DSs are 11 and 9 and don't have their own ipads. why on earth would a 2 year old need their own confused

Lottapianos Thu 24-Nov-16 16:38:52

No OP. Just no. For the reasons you suggest and because as other posters said, no 2 year old needs one. It's a very generous offer but no

SavoyCabbage Thu 24-Nov-16 16:39:42

Mine got Happyland when she was two. She loved it.

ElspethFlashman Thu 24-Nov-16 16:40:09

No way. The thoughts of the tantrums alone whenever you try to remove it.....

<shudder>

NickyEds Thu 24-Nov-16 16:40:57

No way would I let my 2 year old have an i pad!

NightNightBadger19962 Thu 24-Nov-16 16:42:15

Yeah, but I'd let them buy my dc an ipad, then heavily restrict thier time using it and make good use of it myself...

SuperPug Thu 24-Nov-16 16:42:17

It's really sad to see so many kids glued to them in buggies, restaurants etc. There's a few threads on here re: behaviour when screens are taken away, allowing children to be bored etc.
From experience, I think they can affect creative and social skills and I don't think a two year old appreciates the value of such an expensive item.

WeeM Thu 24-Nov-16 16:48:37

My 3 year likes to use the iPad but no way would I buy her her own one. It's handy to have but she def doesn't need one to herself when there is one in the house. How about a leap pad thing or something like that if you wanted to suggest an alternative?

bloodyteenagers Thu 24-Nov-16 17:05:04

It depends exactly what it's used for.
As something to watch YouTube, iplayer etc not really.

However an iPad even for two year olds, using the accessibility functions and some of the aac apps can be invaluable at giving someone a 'voice' and much cheaper than other options on the market.

amroc18 Thu 24-Nov-16 17:09:16

The only benefit I can see of them
Having their own is you can child proof it kid friendly apps, no photos etc that can be accidentally deleted etc. I'd say why not as they are clearly happy spending the money and want to. You are the adult and can police its use.

cestlavielife Thu 24-Nov-16 17:11:34

if the 2 year old has SEN definitely
it can open up a world of communication. lots of educational apps can be put on it. .
make sure they also buy a decent case for it.

WeeM Thu 24-Nov-16 17:49:13

If you do get an iPad I can thoroughly recommend an Otter Box cover-makes them indestructible!

Chickpearocker Thu 24-Nov-16 19:11:41

Thanks guys, I'm tempted to give it to him to buy free time, for example if I'm having a bad day it would occupy him for a while. But then I will end up feeling guilty. It hard to keep them entertained all day long when you have a clingy toddler.

ElspethFlashman Thu 24-Nov-16 19:20:14

Just put on cbeebies like the rest of us. At least the TV can't leave the room.

My friend has a 2 yr old who's addicted to YouTube kiddy videos and doesn't want to ever play with anything else and it has to go with him EVERYWHERE. Lots of tantrums. Awful.

Joinourclub Thu 24-Nov-16 19:26:14

My 3 year old pretty much has exclusive use of ours. Loads of really good apps. Love the CBeebies ones. Lots of good phonics stuff and maths stuff. I have just had to delete the Netflix and Amazon apps to avoid endless cartoon watching . Lots of good things about iPads for kids as long as you control and limit their use.

Mamatallica Thu 24-Nov-16 20:37:42

I used to babysit for a 2 year old with an android tablet, he'd had a lot of practice on his big brother's so he was a dab hand at watching endless rubbish on YouTube and playing age-inappropriate games. I mentioned parental controls and filters to the parents a couple of times but they didn't seem bothered, not my place to comment on what they thought was fine for their child but I was a bit disturbed tbh.

Chickpearocker Thu 24-Nov-16 21:00:12

I think I will get one and let him use the apps, I guess it's more about restricting its use. He wouldn't have access to inappropriate content. I feel he might be a bit young but I think he would enjoy it.

Nikki2ol6 Sat 26-Nov-16 12:46:16

My children are 7 6 and 3 and have an iPad each. They watch you tube videos on the YouTube kids app. They play games and my 3 year old is currently lying on the sofa unwell watching his favourite tv show on his. They also text each other (my oldest two) and can text me from their rooms or when they go to their grandmars house. Just make sure you get a protective cover for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now