Talk

Advanced search

Baby clothes - struggling to find clothes to fit my chubby bubba!!

(21 Posts)
Indigo1990 Tue 22-Nov-16 13:42:11

Hi everyone I have a 9 month old baby girl. She was 9lb 8oz at birth so was never going to be a tiny thing! But she now weighs 26lb and is wearing 12/18 month clothes sometimes she still fits in 9/12 depending on what it is or where it's from. Her real problem area is her arms, I find 12/18 month clothes are made with the view that the baby will be at least crawling/walking therefore would have lost some of the baby chub! But my little one is yet to start crawling.
Just wondering if any other mummies of bigger babies have found some high street shops that are generous in size?
Thanks

Artandco Tue 22-Nov-16 13:45:13

John Lewis babygrows are generous sizing

LestatVonGaribaldi Tue 22-Nov-16 18:28:49

I find Next and Tesco clothes are very generous. Just to put a spanner in the works I find John Lewis clothes are tight around the wrists and ankles. My 16 month is small (only just in 12-18 months tops and wearing 9-12 months leggings) but it's always the John Lewis tops she grows out of first.

Highlove Tue 22-Nov-16 18:33:43

Next stuff is huge. My 2.8 year old, 75th centile for weight and height, still comfortably wears 18-24 month stuff from there. I also find Mothercare stuff very roomy.

Heirhelp Tue 22-Nov-16 19:27:44

I find next on the small size. My lo is on the 98% for height and is always one size if clothes ahead but I find she always out grows her next clothes first.

randomsabreuse Tue 22-Nov-16 19:30:39

Asda seemed the widest to me, followed by Mothercare - as those were the most ridiculous on my scrawny little one.

Willowesd Tue 22-Nov-16 19:34:39

Feed her less? She's overweight so that's probably why she's not crawling. Sorry but we have a serious problem with obesity in this country and the solution is not to just buy bigger clothes hmm

welshweasel Tue 22-Nov-16 19:37:12

Next are really wide. As are Jojo Maman Bebe. I have the opposite problem with a 9 month old long legged slim ish tummy and struggle to find trousers that don't fall down. Mainly wears girls leggings and tights!

dementedpixie Tue 22-Nov-16 19:37:24

Don't be ridiculous, babies don't need to be put on a diet!

Willowesd Tue 22-Nov-16 19:47:19

Research has shown that babies who are overweight at 9 months are more likely to be overweight at age 2.

It's the attitude that fat babies are cute and that there's nothing wrong with 'chub' that has led to one in three children being overweight or obese by the time they leave primary school

LilMissVixen Tue 22-Nov-16 19:51:36

I was just going to suggest JoJo Maman Bébé too. I find they're really wide. My son is 8 months and in 6-9month clothes everywhere except JoJo where he's still in 3-6 months.

I find Tesco to be quite slim fitting.

SolomanDaisy Tue 22-Nov-16 19:52:06

You have no fucking clue if this baby is 'overweight' because you have no idea how long she is. You have no idea if she's still mostly breastfed. Your 'advice' is both rude and pointless.

SpotTheDuck Tue 22-Nov-16 19:55:57

Ignore willowsed, I'm sure your doctor or HV will tell you if they have any concerns about your daughters weight. Some babies are just chubsters!

Frugi, John Lewis and sainsburys tu have all been good for my pudgey boy. Frugi is expensive but lasts well so is always on ebay.

DownWithThisSortaThing Tue 22-Nov-16 19:56:08

Feed her less? She's overweight so that's probably why she's not crawling. Sorry but we have a serious problem with obesity in this country and the solution is not to just buy bigger clothes hmm

She's 9 months old!
Jesus fucking Christ. The word obese. She's a baby.

NicknameUsed Tue 22-Nov-16 19:57:21

"She's overweight so that's probably why she's not crawling."

That's a load of bollocks. DD was only just sitting up at that age. I can't remember what age she started crawling at, but it wasn't 9 months, and she was on the 9th centile so not in the least bit overweight.

I found Asda clothes the most generously sized.

clumsyduck Tue 22-Nov-16 20:01:55

Next ! My ds almost the same birthweight and was a big baby he was always in at least the size above were he should be but next stuff was always big !

DownWithThisSortaThing Tue 22-Nov-16 20:01:56

Op - I always found that M&S are larger and next.
And there is nothing wrong at all with a 9 month old wearing 12 - 18 month old clothes, my 2 year old wears 12 - 18 month old clothes sometimes still, it doesn't mean I'm staving him hmm
Whe she starts moving it will level out.

DownWithThisSortaThing Tue 22-Nov-16 20:04:27

*starving

Outinthegarden Tue 22-Nov-16 20:05:12

Your baby sounds very similar to mine OP! We have a lot of H&M vests that fit well and I find TU and Mini Club a good fit too - DS1 was the same size at this age as well and he is now a typical trim little toddler grin

Indigo1990 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:34:04

Willowesd how dare you. My daughter is on the 98th centile for her height and therefore balances out her weight and HV has no concerns. Your comment was rude and uncalled for. I asked for advice on clothes not that I should feed my child less. she wasn't weaned until 6 months as the guidelines recommend and she's not over fed. My 3 year old son didn't crawl until 10 months and there was nothing wrong with him. Babies come in all shapes and sizes...

So frankly you can take your research statistics and stuff them up your a** because your sort of "advice" was not what I asked for. No wonder mums feel so judged these days with people like you around!!

Indigo1990 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:41:55

To all of you who gave me advice on clothes as I asked for, thank you very much I will have a look at the places suggested smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now