How to get my 3 year old to brush his teeth?

(17 Posts)
Chloeneedshelp Sun 20-Nov-16 21:53:04

Really worried about this. He won't brush them at all. I've tried to show him. Won't let me do it for him. Tried to make it fun. Bought numerous toothbrushes and toothpastes. He'll put the brush in his mouth, sort of suck the water out of it then thinks he's done. Due at dentist next month. Don't want to force him and he never do it. Any advice?

isthistoonosy Sun 20-Nov-16 21:58:56

You have to force him or bribe him.
I tell mine its no desserts unless we brush our teeth well twice a day. If he won't I force him but tbh he pretty much just does it now as he knows the discussion is over.

BabyHaribo Sun 20-Nov-16 22:03:50

You have to force him.

At three you should really still be brushing them for him anyway.

It's horrible but he will get used to it and worth iit in the long run

NannyR Sun 20-Nov-16 22:06:57

You have to let him know that toothbrushing is non-negotiable, it's something that has to be done and he doesn't get a choice to say no. I have resorted in the past, to wrapping children in a towel and brushing their teeth. It sounds harsh, but none have them have grown up to have any issues with tooth brushing and the alternative (rotten teeth, fillings and extractions) is far worse.

QueenCuntyFlippers Sun 20-Nov-16 22:08:23

I have a recently turned 3 year old who is a bugger for this.

He has numerous toothbrushes and loads of different toothpaste. I threaten him with all sorts (no desserts, straight to bed with no story, blah blah blah) he takes no notice and I just have to brush forcibly.

He'll come round, I'm sure! His sister was never this much bother hmm

PoloZolo Sun 20-Nov-16 22:09:33

3 words... the AquaFresh app

goldielookingchain Sun 20-Nov-16 22:09:50

Reward chart for us

megletthesecond Sun 20-Nov-16 22:10:44

Pin down and brush I'm afraid. 3 minutes of wrestling is better than tooth decay.

WellErrr Sun 20-Nov-16 22:10:58

You force him.

Teeth are non negotiable. Not up for discussion. You just need to pin him down twice a day and brush them. Won't take long for him to accept it.

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 20-Nov-16 22:11:18

brushtime app?
'you do mine and I do yours?'
maybe the dentist can explain the why and how?

Haggisfish Sun 20-Nov-16 22:12:52

I still do my six year olds. She took some persuading when younger!

Lucked Sun 20-Nov-16 22:18:32

My children get a go at brushing their teeth if they want to but it is non negotiable that me or DH will do a proper brush. Three year old is getting good at letting us do it but if she is having a bad night we wrap her in a towel and do it anyway even if she is crying (easy access to teeth).

I imagine I will be brushing their teeth along side them until they are 7 or 8. Dentist told at last visit that new advice is to supervise till 14😲. Not sure 13 year old me would have tolerated that!

user1479699333 Mon 21-Nov-16 03:59:43

It is better to force him.So much dental issues in later life can be a huge problem.

AmeliaJack Mon 21-Nov-16 04:20:22

Teeth brushing is absolutely non negotiable.

If you have to pin him down, then pin him down.

An adult should be doing the teeth brushing until about 7 yo.

Look at it this way. If you aren't prepared to pin him down now you may have to watch medical professionals extract his baby teeth.

FixItUpChappie Mon 21-Nov-16 04:28:40

No teeth brushed, NO treats, sweets or anything with sugar in it.....that's always worked at my house smile

Mol1628 Mon 21-Nov-16 04:41:07

I used to pin mine down. Then he would cry which meant his mouth was open so I could brush. If he messes about and doesn't let me I just threaten to pin him down and it tends to make him cooperate.

GoGoGoGo Mon 21-Nov-16 07:56:58

this works on my three year old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now