Talk

Advanced search

3.5 yo DS wants to go home when at grandparents

(6 Posts)
malteser17 Sat 19-Nov-16 22:13:22

My 3.5 yo son loves visiting his grandparents (my parents) but getting him to bed/sleep there is a nightmare because he just wants his home comforts like his bed and his TV programmes before bed (we have Netflix at home but my parents don't). At the moment it takes an hour of either me or my Mum or a combination sitting with him, singing to him or cuddling him before he eventually drops off. We've tried getting a new duvet cover especially for his visits and last night he was really excited to be in his space bed but still refused to sleep, and tonight he refused to go into that at all :-( All I want is for a couple of hours with my parents once he's gone down but it's just not happening. Any suggestions welcome!

Heirhelp Sun 20-Nov-16 21:28:05

I think he wa be better with familiar bedding that was has been on his bed for a few days so it smells the same.

Have you tried snuggling down in bed with him?

I struggle to sleep in an unfamiliar space so I can understand why a little one would find it difficult.

KatyN Sun 20-Nov-16 21:52:32

My son is nearly 5 and he is still rubbish at going to bed anywhere else. It is just too exciting! We normally relax bedtimes a lot when visiting, he catches up on sleep in the car travelling. Although I appreciate that doesn't give you the adult time with your folks

Wolfiefan Sun 20-Nov-16 21:55:52

Have the same bedtime routine at their house as at yours.
Take his pillow (will smell and feel like home!)
Take a soft toy and favourite soft toy.
Do you think he knows there's stuff going on downstairs and he's missing out?

AdrienneVole Sun 20-Nov-16 21:57:48

Does he have to sleep there?

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 20-Nov-16 22:00:31

My parents have Netflix on their television via our subscription as you can have it on more than one gadget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now